1996 Gmc

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by goodbeus, Jan 22, 2004.

1. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I'm kinda interested in a 1996 GMC 3500 quad-cab dually with a 454 cu engine...has 105,000 miles and appeared to be in very good shape...was curious if any of you guys run a truck like this, what are your comments and what kinda gas mileage to expect...If I purchase this truck, I'll be hauling a 16' trailer...also, they wanted $11,000 for it...

2. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

First, a dually with a 454. If you are worried about gas mileage, don't buy it. Second, the price seems pretty high. I work full time as a technician at a Chevy dealer and we had a '99 crew cab 3500 dually with leather in like new shape that sold recently for $17,000.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My friend has a 2000 four door 3500[not a duelie ] gets 16mpg with camper and boat[a big boat] and he does'nt drive anything slow.

4. goodbeus

Yea, but is that with a deisel or v-8 engine?

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

That truck is overpriced....I have a 94 4x4 with a 454, 610,000 miles. It will bring 6K tops.

Offer 8.5K and se what they say. 100,000 miles is not a worry as long as maintenance was performed properly and theoretically, you could get another 100K trouble free miles.

The tranny in that one will be a L88E, stongest electic shift tranny GM made. Still would rather have a turbo 400.

6. goodbeus

I was going to offer 8k, but my main concern is gas mileage:eek:

7. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

Hey Goodbeus,

I am looking also. I say, people sure do want a lot of money for trucks in this area.

Just wanted to say hello and good fortune in your truck search!:)

8. goodbeus

Yea, I may just wait and pay cash for a new one...that's if my Astro will last that long:eek:

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If your worried about fuel, don't consider it any farther. Friend has one that he pulls his 26' enclosed with race car in it. Its a pulling SOB, but he's lucky to get 6mpg at 70mph.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Quote goodbues;
    "Yea, but is that with a deisel or v-8 engine?"

454 gas