1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1996 Walker Model T

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zinkjo, Jun 7, 2006.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Looking to slowly upgrade our business. Currently only have walk behinds. Found the attached Walker for sale from a local landscaper. He is selling it for $2,400. Is that a decent deal??

2. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

oops forgot 20 HP/42"
  3. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

How many hrs? I would say 2k cash.
  4. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

how much maintenance do u think it will be? just landscaping part time, mowing about 20 accounts 1 day/week
  5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

set as side $80 a piece for new tiers...
  6. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if you get it I would sink a few $$ and change fluids, blades tires, and a new paint job. After that it should just be the regular oil,blades, and grease. Like I asked earlier hrs matter alot and what is still original. If its original motor, gear boxes, and hydro pumps with a good amount of hours I would think again.
  7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a '96 model mt-ghs/20 hp kohler with 1700 hours on it. Looks better than the one in your pictures, but I have replaced several pieces of the grass handling system and the seat. I was offered 2500.00 as a trade in on a new 2005 walker.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a 2000 Walker with 36" bagging deck for $1500 and it had a 2 year old new 20hp motor on it.
  9. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

it would be cheaper in the long run to have a new relieable piece of equipment that you can count on hour after hour.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Have you demoed a new one? That unit is definately "seasoned" but aside from that I can't tell you to buy or not. I have a 2000 26EFI that I really like alot. I used to have a 98 but the 25HP motor was trash.
    The unit there is a mower with no frills. The newer units have some considerable improvements for comfort and maintenance. (the donaldson air cleaners are a must in dirty environments and are great for everyday use also.) The seat is a basic one. I am sure it will cut and give decent results but I personally don't buy really old used equipment as my luck usually gives me a breakdown just when I don't need it. Good luck on your choice.