1997 Dodge 1500

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tropical breeze, Oct 9, 2009.

1. tropical breeze

tropical breeze LawnSite Member

1997 Dodge 1500 club cab does anyone have this truck ? I am looking at one to purchase my issue is it has 171,000 miles on it. Is this kinda mileage to high.

2. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Those trucks are known to have a lot of transmission problems. Ask the owner if it is the original tranny, have had any problems, if the tranny fluid was regularly changed, etc.

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard this as a rumor so don't hold me to it. But I always hear that the transmissions go to crap about 80,000. Our 03 Dodge was just in the shop about a month ago for transmission problems. And I know another guy who had transmission issues in his Dodge.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You need at least a 3/4 ton to pull a trailer full time, that's a 1/2 ton.

5. tropical breeze

Thanks for the info I will keep looking.

6. USFGUY

USFGUY LawnSite Member

I have a dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab diesel.. about 180k miles on it.. transmission is just starting to have issues and it has pulled a gooseneck trailer all its life! :)

Dodge AUTO transmissions are the weak link.. a new suncoast or similar will run about $3-6k installed.. and most seem to go out around 80-120k miles.

Get a diesel even used.. the torque will be VERY helpful in pulling a trailer and if you want get a bio diesel setup going and you can make your own diesel for under $1/gallon!

7. tropical breeze

wow thanks. Hey your not far from me is business tough in the winter for you there in Tampa I live in North Port next to Sarasota.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, it IS the transmission...

Glad someone's taking notes :p

And if you think 3/4 tons don't last...
    Wait till you get into a 1/2 ton.
    I've seen those burn out in 6-12 months.

The problem with replacing such a transmission, is the cost of that is more than the truck is worth...

As of now I get 4-5 years out of a 3/4 ton, seems none of them last forever.
    Really a full ton would be nice, but the problem is as we step up in the models, so does the price...

My current truck is a '95 D-2500, best working transmission yet but I also change the trans fluid and filter every 10,000 miles.

I will say this...
    Better off getting a slightly older 3/4 ton than a newer 1/2 ton, here I am assuming the price for the truck staying the same.
    That is, if you have x thousand dollars you can spend, you will see how you have
    to get a slightly older 3/4 vs. a 1/2, because the 3/4's cost more.

Mileage is a big thing, try and get one not much over 100,000, less is better.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i would pass on that deal and try to find something with fewer miles on it