1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Ford f350 Low Range 4x4 Slipping?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PetalsandPines, Nov 19, 2001.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I have the 1997 F350 (old body style), Doing a dry run the other day to make sure everything is ready for winter I engaged the truck in LOW RANGE 4x4, I rarely use the Low Range, if ever. Well after engaging it and putting it in drive, I pressed the gas and the engine reved, the truck went slowly as if it was slipping then BAM, the wheels engaged. I did it again and the engine reved and reved and then eventually it kicked in. Is this normal for LOW RANGE 4x4 (auto tranny), because the 4X 4 high is working perfectly (no reving or slipping) the fluids are fine, not burn't. I have never run 4 low unless it was in snow...so I don't know if this is normal...Any help out there?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a 97 HD F250 4x4 and no it is not normal for that to happen. I've never had this happen, like what you are explaining.

3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming that this year of Ford has a push button to engage four low. If so the solenoid or the mechanical mechnism that it is connected to in the transfer case is sticking. I have no experience with that system, however I sure it's not much different in principal than the electric shift mechnism in a two speed axle. At least it's a place to look to start looking for a problem.

4. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

It sounds like you have the auto locking hubs not lock outs YThis maybe the problem! Ford had a problem with these. They are however easily replaced with warn lockouts for 100.00 bucks and a half hour.This is what we always do even if they are brand new hope this helps