1997 Gravely Pro 50

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajaxdog, Dec 13, 2003.

1. ajaxdog

ajaxdog LawnSite Member

Have a fair sized property with a little over two acres to cut. I am considering buying a used 1997 gravely Pro 50 with an estimated 450 hours on the machine.

A couple of questions:

First, are there any chronic problems or shortcomings of this machine, I know i will need to inspect it closely but I am looking for any history of problems or dissatisfaction from you sage professionals.

Second, for a residential application, will this machine handle fairly easily for a couple hours of trimming and finish work? My primary mower is a JD Compact.

Third, is there a general value/price range someone can share with me on this unit? This is one of those "make an offer" deals and I would like to know what a high and low might be.

Fourth does anyone know, offhand, if there is a stand-up sulkie and mulching kit available? he deck is a stamped deck and I'm not that familiar with Gravely WBs.

I have attached a picture or two sent by the seller. Wish I had more details for you guys.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jax

pro50_01.jpg

2. ajaxdog

ajaxdog LawnSite Member

Pic of controls.

Anyone know the specifics details of this model, or where I could find them?

Thanks again--Jax

pro50_02.jpg

3. ajaxdog

ajaxdog LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, that's a 14HP Kohler between the operator's knees. Sorry for over-posing.

4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Jax,
    Here a link to a thread on the same question you have and following is a reply on that thread posted by Richard Martin with some feedback you might find informative.

Do you like your Gravely Pro G w/b?

Posted by Richard Martin, Maryland 02/20/2003: "I would not go with the Gravely for the 2 reasons I stated alone. I did not state it before but I had a 1997 Gravely Pro 150 50" mower prior to buying my 60" Dixie Chopper and it was the worst mower I ever bought.

Some of the problems I had were:

Micros switches in hand safeties kept going bad
    2 trannys
    spindles
    mower would eat belts
    the drive pulleys on the wheels kept bending up
    deck frame bent badly
    caster forks only supported the caster wheels on one side so they bent
    blade belt would jump over a guide and wear itself out

Although Gravely put a lot of work and effort into the new mowers they still have some of the same problems and created new problems. They did field test the new mowers before they put them into production but despite being told of problems with the new mowers and fixing them they went ahead and manufactured the mowers with the problems.

Good Luck
    PC

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

IMO, 14 HP sounds kind of wimpy for a 50" deck. My Toro 36" has a 15 horse Kohler.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

just depends on what kind of grass your cutting

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

^^Let's hope it's real thin!;)

8. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

I have two pro 50s, 1 hydro- 1 belt. Both are great mowers. The only problem I've run into and it's not me personally but my guys working for me, the stamped desks are not the greatest, ive your the type of guy who when you mow around a tree and keep the deck in constant contact w/ the trunk, you'll here the blades hit the side of the stamped desk. Graveleys are known for good cutting, no mulch kits available, a set of mulching blades and dry grass you'll be fine. You can bolt any two wheeled sulky to the back, both of mine have aftermarket sulkies on them. let me know what your paying for that mower, It's appearence is much better than my two.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

And I still wouldn't recommend buying that mower. I see that you're in the Mid-Atlantic area Ajaxdog. Unless you're cutting weed free dry grass often you will probably have problems with clumping. There is a reason that Gravely no longer mounts that deck on their Pro Series mowers and that's because it's junk.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The stamped deck is the weakest point of the mower. Personally I would not buy it for that reason alone. If you are looking for a good belt drive WB I don't think you can go wrong with a Scag. I have a 1998 model Scag 48 belt drive that I use for hills and slopes and as a back-up. All I can say is that the mower is a tank and nearly indestructable. I have had it for 5 years and it has performed flawlessly in the most demanding conditions. Granted it has its limits since it is a belt drive and not a hydro, but for heavy duty use it can't be beat. JMO.