1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

1997 walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ashs inc, Apr 4, 2013.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

hey guys i have a friend who wants to sell me his walker 1997 ghs. 42 inch deck. this would be my first walker. hes in a pinch so i was going to help him but i dont want a dud mower. what should i look at? the motor is a kubota i think he said.

thanks

2. ashs inc

from alabama

anyone? anyone

3. shadetreelawns

shadetreelawns LawnSite Member

I have a 99 walker paid $500 for it from a friend. Motor was locked up. Replaced motor all is good. The way I looked at it was I got a great deal, and could fix most problems. If it runs use it see how the hydros are.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. shadetreelawns

shadetreelawns LawnSite Member

Just read that it has a Kubota motor, which means its diesel. I have heard of a lot of problems out of the earlier diesel motors.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Kubota also made a converted gas engine. They are a strong motor but bring an extra can of gas.....

Simple to tell if it is gas or diesel. Does it have a choke and plug wires?

6. ashs inc

from alabama

It's a gas burner

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

How many hours? Go over it with a fine toothed comb. Especially the shafts and gearboxes. Hopefully its a mulch or discharger as I doubt the blower wouldn't need replacement at that age.
    Posted via Mobile Device