1998 Chevy 3500 6.5TD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DBFlawn, Mar 2, 2009.

1. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

2. EagleGrounds

EagleGrounds LawnSite Senior Member

I think it looks like a solid truck. Worn, but solid.

You may want to ask him for more details like typical useagle, any work thats been done to it, maintenance logs, etc. Plow trucks tend to be worn in much more than regular work trucks.

But good luck with the bid!

3. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

not arguing with you but what signs do you see that shows that its worn? is it just implied because it has a plow on it? it seems clean and didt seem that worn.

thanks for your help

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The 6.2L & 6.5L GM diesels have their gremlins, as do all diesels I would not consider these two a "modern" diesel engine. I have owned both displacement diesels over the years. Goes I wish Health diesel was around back then. Like all diesels their are specific weak points that should be addressed, some are critical, others optional for longer life.

http://www.heathdiesel.com/

For those wondering why most OEM's don't build their engine's & transmissions with the absolute best parts is COST. I would spend the exrta money for a truck built right; however their are always those consumers who would complain about the extra cost. This is why we turn to the artermarket automotive industry for answers.

For a Plow truck it looks clean, for $2500 it could go either way if you get 1 year out of the truck you have made your money IMO. Go for it

5. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

yeah i know it sounds like a deal but ive been debating that one. i worry something eill go wrong with it.

does anyone know how many miles these 6.5's will go without major repair?

6. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

My friend knows many people with the 6.5L, and it's the worst diesel ever made according to him (at least the '94-'97 6.5). Lots of premature engine failures, injection pumps going out every year, fuel problems, and very hard starting even in warm weather. Many people I know have terrible problems with them, and some others have zero problems. The ones that aren't having problems all have 1998 and 1999's. The '98-'00 6.5L's are much better because they finally fixed the injection pumps, but they still aren't near as reliable as the Ford 7.3L Powerstroke, and the Dodge Cummins. They do get much better fuel mileage though (23+ mpg highway). As for how many miles these can go, I have seen many 6.5L's with 350-400,000 miles on the original engine. But that is about as far as these will go, and pales in comparison to the Powerstroke and Cummins which can go 800,000+ miles with few problems.

I think that a '98 6.5L will be fine as far as reliability, but if you can get a Powerstroke or Cummins for only a little bit more I would do it.

7. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

thanks. i think im just gonna pass this one up. they sound good but i just cant take that chance of something happening. i think i ill find somethuing a little closer that i can drive b4 i buy.

thanks for everyones help

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If the truck was 454 powered it would be worth looking at but powered with a 6.5 Turdo diesel forget it.

9. DBFlawn

DBFlawn LawnSite Member

yeah i know. ive never been in a 6.5 so i dont know what they are like. so like i said. i think im better off waiting and finding something a little closer.

my dad has the 454 in his work truck and its a complete beast with tons of power.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 6.5 engine was the worst engine GM ever produced. The 6.2 was a little better but it was a gutless wonder.

The 454 powered trucks are good a little piggy on fuel but I would take it over a 350 powered truck.