1998 dodge ram 2500 diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mower&more1986, May 5, 2008.

1. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=13000&cardist=1
    im looking at this truck. I took it for a test drive and it drove almost perfect
    but it doesnet have power windows and power door locks whiich i really dont care. sounded like it should like a semi. but is there anything i should be aware of about the cummines diesel. the transmission shifted perfect so i dont think it has any problems i think the reason the price is low is because of the price of diesel fuel right but i dont do alot of driving so it wont affect me much. and yes i dont do lawncare too many allergies. i deliver newspapers right now but sometime in the future im going to get a job driving a semi.

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

search "53 block"

3. mower&more1986

hmm thats not good thing i would never expect that from cummines
    looks like i need to take a one more look at the engine before i buy it
    it has that 53 on the block im walking away form this truck.

4. mower&more1986

hay if i ran a carfax report migt that turn up with any info on repairs and other reports that might be helpfull?

5. mower&more1986

just ran a report its a one owner from Arizona the owner moved to Rochelle, IL abought a month after he bought it seem it been doesnet have any major reports on it or anything bad.

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, gotta check for the "53" block; however in general if a 53 block is going to "crack" it usually will have already failed if it's a high mileage diesel. You really need to get under the truck it's tough under ideal conditions to read the stamped block serial numbers. I know lots of folks are still buying up the 1st & 2nd genration Cummins diesel's regardless of the 53 block. It was a casting defect that was isolated to the mexican casting. I have the brazilian block; which is stronger than a standard Cummins ISB block, it has a unquie serial number. Cummins Brazilian block was over compensated due to the mexican weak casting defect. you could say I have a extra heavy duty Cummins

7. mower&more1986

so far from what Ive read the block seems to crack at 220,000
    the truck has a 194,567. I wouldn't be really surprised if it was a 53 block
    because of the low price. it does look like it wasnt used for heavy towing because im pretty sure i didn't see a gooseneck. i don't plan on pulling much
    just hauling my quad and newspapers. I dont plan on any performence add ons. not even stacks lol. I guess im just the type of guy likes his Trucks stock. The main reason i like the truck is the child in me is loving that cummines diesel sound. probably the worst reason to look for a cummines
    but hay you only live once
    Edit: one for sure this truck sound alot healther then my 6.5 turbo diesel

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

ha it has ford wheels.

9. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I have read alot of commetns onthe 53 block and how it is prone to cacking. I spike with my father about this and here is what he said. Yes their were some 53 blocks with a casting defect. not all but some. He aslo said that the blocks would be within a certain serial number range. I do not have that part for you but evidently you can look that up. we were also discussing how often these blocks failed. His answer was mine has 610000 miles on it and has not cracked. His point is that only a small portion of them have had issues. My next question was would you buy one. Hes answer was just depends on how the truck was used and abused. I do not know if this will help or bring up more questions in your mind but as soon as he gets the exact casting numbers I will try and post them.

10. mower&more1986

could you ask him how offen did he change the oil and what oil he used?