1999 48" Lesco W/B

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65Matt, Jan 21, 2002.

1. 65Matt

65Matt LawnSite Member

Hello,

I have searched Lesco walk behind mowers and found both good and bad comments about them, mainly caused by some units that were jointly made by MTD.

I am going to look at a used 1999 Lesco W/B 48" with belt drive with a Kawasaki (FC420V) engine. Can anyone tell from this information if this is one of the good ones, or a bad one? How can I tell when I go look at it?

BTW: It has rarely been used and he is asking $1250. Is this a good deal?

Also, is this engine strong enough to pull a velkie?

Thanks

2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Don't know much about the mower but I have used that same engine on my 54" bobcats and it has pulled me around ok.

3. You can't go wrong with that mower for that price.

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Go for it. sounds like a good deal. A Kaw. 420V will do just fine for a velkie. I use the same engine for my 52". Go with the dual-wheel velkie because the single-wheel leaves an ugly line down the middle and the wheels on the dual-wheel follow the drive wheels perfectly making it look like you walked behind it.

5. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Should be strong enough for you.

Sound like a real good deal.

6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i have a 2001 lesco 48 and hate it. if you are using this machine on weak lawns then be prepared to eat dust. check under the deck there are no baffles like on exmark machines, this causes dirt grass and leaves to blow up all over the front of the machine and operator. i come back from using it coved with dust and i cant stand the machine. i hardly used it this year and am trading it in next season. many people are fine with this machine since they are popular with small lcos in my area but anyone who has a large company has better mowers such as exmark and toros.

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52 Lesco w a 14 Kawi works great even with a sulky.
    Choose your blades carefully, mows best with STD blades.
    At that price good deal, a new one is $2300w a 15 Kawi.