1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Chevy Z71 4x4 1500 is going to put me i my grave.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by David Hartzog, Aug 9, 2007.

1. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

Two weeks ago i posted about my truck and the bad fuel mileage at 8.3 mpg now i am getting 7.0 mpg.
    I am at the pump every two days and i have more money going to fuel than food heres my last Numbers 137.6 miles= 19.654 gals= $56.19costing me 41.0 cents per mile.
    I am so confused about what i should do.
    Should i buy a diesel or a gas burner i plan to stay with this next truck along time and i want to get a 20' to 23' enclosed trailer plus i have a 200 gallon tank=to 1600lbs when filled.I will give this info to my creditor so i can plan whats best.
    I do need seats enough for 4or 5 people.

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

just get a 2008 Super Duty Crew (diesel Dually) and you'll sell the bizz before it will crap out on you.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to be hauling that much weight around and having a decent amount of people in the cab, definatly get a diesel. You will be much happier with the mileage. Gotta ask, why only 7 mpg in a half ton????? That thing should only have like a 350 or so V8. My 2000 2500 with a 6.0 gets 10-12 towing. Have you tuned it up or changed the fuel filter lately?? That will affect your mileage alot.

4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 1 ton gas that only gets 7 miles to the gallon. I had to get into an arguement wiht the tax person in april about why I need to deduct actual expenses over the 44.5 cents per mile. If i did the mileage deduction I would lose out.

5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Dang i would love to get 7 or 8 mpg i got a dodge 3/4 8.0 litre v-10 this thing loves the gas. Cost me around 50 cents per mile driven just in gas. I average 5.5 to 6 mpg pulling 6000# 7-8 empty running highway. But hey its paid for i couldnt get anything for it if i was to sell it and its a fairly reliable solid truck i also have another truck for daily driving

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

so that 7mpg is with the truck all loaded down right? That is still low, I would check tire pressure and air filter. But I'm sure you already did that.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

this is a prime example of why one shouldnt buy a 4x4 truck just for towing here in the south. one that note i get a whopping 10mpg from my chevy 2x4 with 350 towing my trailer.

8. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Get a D-Max you will love the torque and MPG.
    I have an edge chip in my pick-up and if I can manage to keep it in the mileage tune I get between 18- 23 MPG. But since that truck is VERY rarely used for work somehow it always ends up in level 3-4 tune which produces about an extra 100hp and 250 foot pounds of torque and makes a lot of black smoke:)

9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

What makes you say that? Its pollution. Modifying the pollution output of a vehicle is a federal offense. Infact its a worse offense than opening someone elses mailbox.

People get on here and gripe about everyone competing with them that has no insurance or business license, doenst have this registered, or that commercial tag. Tampering with the emission output devices on motor vehicles is just as serious of an offense.

10. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

:cry: :cry: :cry: