1999 exmark 48in walkbehind belt drive

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by jslawn, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jslawn

jslawn LawnSite Member

i have 99 exmark walk behind kaw. engine its belt drive. problem i am having is the mower will go in drive but reverse will not engage it had pto and you can see shafts moving in reverse but the belts aren't engaging to go into reverse. also the higher gears goes up to five but doesn't seem to be strong have to shove off and be on flat land get it up there. was wondering if any of you have had this problem or can help me to fix it

2. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

Belt drives are reverse assist. You still have to pull them to get them to back up.

If its slipping on in forward gears, sounds like you either need some new belts or some adjusting.

3. xc2010

xc2010 LawnSite Member
    from STL

there is a tensioner pulley located between the trans and engine all it needs is to be slid to the left and tighten up a bit, and as for reverse as stated revs is only assist

4. Ducati996

Ducati996 LawnSite Member

Why do these posts wind up in the Tractor forum ? there is a ton of them....

5. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't even know how I ended up in the tractor forum. I seen this on page one, gave a reply, then noticed the OP was from months ago and I was in the tractor forum!

I kinda felt like an idiot till other people posted!! Now we're all in this together! Just a bunch of idiots in the tractor forum talking about a belt drive walkbehind.

6. Ducati996

Ducati996 LawnSite Member

Well the good news is we are not alone :) :) :waving: