1999 F-250? 230K miles...Should I?????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CJ0000, Jun 26, 2005.

1. CJ0000

CJ0000 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about buying this truck from a used car dealership in PA. Its a nice looking F250...It starts up & drives well with a very clean engine.
    The only thing I'm worried about is the mileage...230,000 miles. It also has a hydraulic liftgate. Should I or should I not? The cost: $6400

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Powerstroke or gasser? Powerstroke:yes just getting broken in Gasser: hell no on it's last leg

3. CJ0000

CJ0000 LawnSite Member

What do you mean PS or Gasser? Whats the difference? Thanks.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Powerstroke would be a diesel.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

And the gasser would be a gas.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Even though the powerstroke is good to about 300k, I'd still avoid that truck because 230k miles in 6 years warrants incredible use of it, and the bushings and suspension are probably completely worn out.

Have the front end endlinks been replaced? It cost about a grand to do a complete overhaul of the front end alone.

Save your pennys, its no good having to spend another $4k on repairs when you get the truck.

7. CJ0000

CJ0000 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice...I probably won't get it then. Whats the benefit of a powerstroke vs the regular gas?

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Much more available torque, better fuel effiecency...Cooler clacking sound :D

I'm a huge fan of diesel. Until recently, diesal was cheaper than gas so that was a big plus too.

Of course, you can always fill up at the untaxed offroad stations ;-)
    :angel:

9. ZOO YORK

ZOO YORK LawnSite Member

4x4 or 2wd? if 4x4 yes, if 2wd no

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If they have all the service records, then I would still consider it. If not, I'd shy away from it.