1999 F350 Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mmetcalfe, Nov 6, 2007.

1. mmetcalfe

mmetcalfe LawnSite Member

I've been thinking about getting into plowing and landscaping.

I just found what I think is a good deal, a 99 350 with 80k on it. The guy just replaced the starter, all the brakes, and tires.

Do you guys think this is a good deal for 7k? It was used for plowing a residential driveway in the past, but it was not used commercially. It does not come with a plow, but he said it has a fisher minute mount bracket under the truck still with the wires for the controls.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? What kind of problems do these trucks run into commonly? What do yo guys do if you only have one truck and it breaks down on you while you are out plowing? Do you have other guys in the area you could call to finish your clients driveways in that situation?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

What engine, RC EC, 4x4, condition etc.

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

If it's a powerstroke 7.3l turbo diesel then the motor with 80k is worth that money by itself. That motor is pretty bullet proof. You will have small things to fix assuming he always maintained it. You will want to have the Tranny looked at.

[​IMG]

Mine is a 99 F250 w/ 7.3l powerstroke diesel

4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

What engine does it have? Any rust? other specs?
    I paid $7400 for my 1999 F-350 XLT reg. cab 8' bed, Triton 5.4L V8 last December. It came with an 8' Fisher and had 140,000 + miles on it. Its i very good shape for the age.

5. mmetcalfe

mmetcalfe LawnSite Member

5.4, it is an XL, and it is 4x4 regular cab. The only rust it has just over the rear driver side tire. Looks like it would be an easy fix.

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

check the bottom of the doors, under the rubber strip. they rot out bad there if the truck didnt have front mud flaps. may be another bargining point. price sounds decent for the truck. also, ball joints in the 99-01 or 02 are weak, its a dana 50 front end. its very expensive to have them replaced, if there is play in the steering they may be bad.

7. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

check if it shot out any plugs

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

YES! Back then Fords were famous for blowing plugs out of the cylinder heads. All in all seems like a decent deal.

9. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

it happend from 98.5 (when they where introduced) all the way up to i think 2001 which was when they introduced the PI heads (performance improved) which had more threads in the cylinder head. Plugs blowing out was rare but it happened. If u plan to change the plugs ur self then make sure u tork them right and u shouldnt have a problem.

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

5.4's didnt have that problem.