1999 walker 25hp kohler engine case gasket

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TurfWarrior, Sep 2, 2011.

1. TurfWarrior

TurfWarrior LawnSite Member
    from nj

1999 walker w/ 25hp kohler engine.. The engine case gasket is leaking right above the oil filter.i know i need to pull engine i know but what is involved to replace this gasket. i did one on a small mower but not a big engine like this. im sure i can get it apart but putting it back together im not sure whats in there and if anything needs to be realigned ???? etc . any knowledge anyone??? thanks :usflag:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The only things to watch out for is don't rotate the crankshaft after the cover is removed, Doing so will ms-align the oil pump drive and make it more difficult for cover re-installation.

I never go into any high hour engine without replacing the plastic governor gear, Their not that expensive and you never know when they'll sling apart.

Make sure the governor gear properly meshes with the cam gear, You may need to stick a small long screwdriver between the cover and block to align the teeth before pushing the cover on all the way.

Torque the cover as below;

[​IMG]

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

4. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Also keep in mind the crankcase is sealed with RTV sealant, there isn't a rubberized paper or cork gasket to purchase. You will need to buy some. Be sure to read the instructions.

5. TurfWarrior

from nj

its a 1999 with about 4000 hours on it . right now it has a black paperish gasket it on it factory it looks like. does the plastic gov gear wear or will just break?

6. Restrorob

4000 hrs ??? I would flat out refuse to go into that engine without installing a new gov. gear....

They're plastic and wear, They also get brittle from being heated and cooled over time and sling apart.

You can save 35 bux now by not replacing it while your in there and chance slinging a rod out the side if/when it does go, I've seen it happen.....

7. TurfWarrior

from nj

yeah i will how much more involved is that? need to realign or time something?

8. Restrorob

Nope, Just slide the old one off the pin and slide the new one on. Then abide by what I already posted;

9. TurfWarrior

from nj

awesome ill make sure to video webcam you when i do it lol hopefully this week. lol

10. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Rob....I agree with 92 1/2 percent of this post....But....

If you ever saw a rod come thru the side of a Command twin, it wasn't an overspeed issue, These engines are internally balanced to over 7000 RPM's.
    With or without the governor, you will probably never get past 5500 RPM's without some major improvements to the camshaft and the valvetrain.

That aside...Its always a good idea to replace the gov gear on a high hour engine.:waving: