1999 Z71 gets 8.30 mpg is this normal?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by David Hartzog, May 23, 2007.

1. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

gas is to high to hang on a truck that eats as much as a semi truck and they get 9 mpg.

2. RossP

RossP LawnSite Member

i have a 1997 z71 shortbed with 5.0 v8 and it gets around 15 mpg.... you might have a problem:confused:

3. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

I have a 98 Z71 and I am at 14 mpg, when is the last time you had a tune-up?

4. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

i gets reguler oil changes has new air filter new michilan 10 ply tires new spark plug as of last month new coil new wires fuel filter chanced last year .

5. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to get a z 71 if you get that good of milage. I have a duramax and only get 9 mpg, and my misto dump gets 11. But i also have a 22ft trailer and 3 zero turns. what do you guys pull?

6. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

i spend $400-$500 a month on fuel for just the truck. i do have a 200 gallon spray...but its not full all the time. the springs on the rear end are compleatly gone...will that matter?

7. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

i have an 18ft with 2 emark, 2 wonder blowers and full tool chest.

8. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

I had a 1998 Z71 that I loved, and I kept having these strange things happen, and fuel economy would go from like 15 to like 8 from one tank to another. I found that I had a bad gas cap, a plugged fuel filter, and bad O2 sensors.

I don't know if any of that helps, but you should be getting better milage than you are.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Even with a light foot on the throttle, my '95 D-2500 SLT Laramie 2wd w/ the 360cid gets maybe up to 12...

I would go for either testing or replacing your O2 sensor(s), I assume on a V you have two but it depends on the exhaust system as well, you'll want to check your manual on the procedure(s).

A bad sensor can make a BIG difference, like 20% or so.

And, something else came to mind, just to eliminate the possibility, get a locking gas cap.

10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you done something like have the truck exhaust dualed out and the catalytic converters cut out. That will kill fuel mileage in the truck as the o2 sensors keep getting a lean signal and dump more fuel to compensate. Not only is removing catalytic converters bad for your fuelmileage its illegal :nono:

If you still have the cats in and its not an o2 sensor my guess would be the mass airflow sensor. but thats just a shot in the dark