1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

19hp 48 or 23hp 52" Help me decide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, Feb 28, 2005.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I going to buy one of the new Toro's. I'm looking at the 19hp 48" or the 23 52. The price difference is $1,000 dollars. I have never owned a 52. Is it worth $1,000 more for the increased size and hp? A 52" could be used on most of my properties and I already have a Tiger cub 19 48" which size seems to do well also. I'm just wondering if that 4 extra inches will pay for itself or if I should save the money and go with the 48". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i didn't know toro switched to the 19 like the exmark.
    i thought they only had a 44"er and a 52"er.

i bought a 48" exmark with a 17 kawi for 5099 today.

what are the prices that you got.

i couldn't decide on the 48" or the 52"
    but i got a decent deal on this one so i went with it.
  3. bart may

from montana

The price was $5,900 for the 19hp 48 and $6,900 for the 23hp 52. These are the new models with the Turbo Force decks. They have just about every combination you would need.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

man you guys are getting f$cked right in the a$$ i paid $6000 for 60" turf tracer with a 2 wheel velky. ECS 23 kaw
  5. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

I would go with the 52". I was just going through this with the Ferris stuff. The way I figured it was you are loosing about 1/2 an acre per hour going with the 48". So if you figure per acre you charge and well say 35 dollars with eight hours a day that comes out be roughly $700 lost per week by the less acres cut. To me it is a no brainer to go with the 52 but that is just my opinion.
  6. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I think they are talking rider prices.
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd go with the 52 because its not that much bigger than the 48 and you would be more productive with it.
  8. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

you should be able to buy a Hustler rider for that kind of money! :waving:
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here, I'd be inclined to go with the 52 simply because there are VERY few gates a 48 will get into anyway.

Incidentally, I'm not sure I see the rationale behind the notion that 19 ponies are enough for a 48" ZTR but that 23 are needed for a 52. It's only four additional inches of mowing. My thinking is that if you'll end up running a spindle-driven impeller on that deck when you get a vacuum-bagger set-up, may as well go with a 23-horse motor with either deck. I hate to jump on the more-is-better bandwagon, but during the heavy spring growth and fall clean-up, it only makes sense.
  10. bart may

from montana

JKOOPERS, These are Mid mount riders not walk behinds. I've done alot of looking in my area and these prices are pretty good. My local dealer said he'd give me a deal and he is still $1800 higher on each of them :angry: I hate not having dealer competition, so I'm buying this from a state next door.