1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

19hp Kaw javascript:smilie(':help:')

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by garyslawn, Nov 24, 2003.

1. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Engine runs weak on one cylinder. Replaced plugs and gas fiter. It has 450 hours on it. Could it be a coil?:help: :help:

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

could be.. they have been known to fail. Pull the plug and check it, reinstall/replace with a plug tester attached to see if the spark is even and constant while the engine is running. These testers can be bought at any auto parts store and they are real handy for troubleshooting. If it is and still has low power, pull the valve covers remove the push rods and check for a bent pushrod. Its a common occurance with these Kaw engines. A blade strike could cause the rod to bend.

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

how's compression? are both plugs wet? the most common problem is the igniter, little silver box on the side of the engine. i will check and get you tests for it.

4. garyslawn

from NE Ohio

OK. I checked the spark, both coils good. Checked compression, both cylinders 92#. I checked compression on a different 19hp Kaw. 180#. Why would both cylinders on first engine be low compression??? Thanks again Gary

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

did ya test compression hot or cold? both at 92 isn't bad, sounds like fuel problem....rebuild carb, boil out and put in a new kit.....

6. garyslawn

from NE Ohio

tested comp cold on both engines. Why is the other engine 180lbs