19hp Kaw or 25hp Kohler Command pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JB217, Jul 12, 2008.

1. JB217

JB217 LawnSite Member
    from NE

Which motor is better in the long run? Im looking at buying a used machine and the two i have my eye on are a 19hp(kaw) 48" deck and a 25hp(kohler) 60" deck. Both machines are exmarks with close to 1700 hrs. I know the kawasaki is cheaper to replace but what motor is the better pick considering the hrs. Whats a machine like this worth? Any help is appreciated guys and thanks for the help.
  2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer Kaw, but my Exmark dealer told me that the Kohler 25 is a work horse!!

IMO, I would consider which one would serve my purpose the best based on my customer's lawns and how much mowing around flower beds, ect you'll be doing.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a good amount of hours. Hope your not paying much. I have a 25hp kohler on my 60" bobcat ztr. It has been a good engine with plenty of power.
  4. JB217

JB217 LawnSite Member
    from NE

Both machines are under 3000 .... is that a pretty good deal? i like what i hear about the kohler....Bout it being a work horse.
  5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Its a non issue IMHO. Both brands have their good and bad stories. I have both and both are fine.
  6. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

I like my Kawi's, smooth running.
  7. JB217

JB217 LawnSite Member
    from NE

I agree..just like to hear what people say about the 2 different motors. always like to get opinions... Just wasnt sure if one was better than the other considering the amount of hrs on each.
  8. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

As always, people have different opinions. I personally would go with the Kawasaki if I had a chioce. Had sevral machines with these on them and they are very smooth running and will last a really long time as long as you take care of them. Kohler is very close to them though. They are good quality engines and are pretty reliable. In my opinion they are not quite as smooth and quiet as the Kawasaki. Have them on two pieces of equipment and have been pretty reliable except for a couple small things thet were easy to fix.

Briggs & Stratton, would not touch them to save my life. These things are complete junk and that is just my opinion. Some people will tell you different. Have had a couple of John Deeres in the past and were nothing but trouble. One was even really taken care of and one day showed no signs of wear and it all of a sudden blew up and sent the rods straight out the side of the motor. Never seen that before except that time.

Kohler is very good, but Kawasaki is just a little bit better and they make a lot of torque.
  9. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

But the Briggs Vanguards are decent motors, Dihatsu built IIRC. Ive used one on a smaller homeowner type tractor that is used and abused, less than nornall maintainance, and it still keeps plugging along.
  10. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

what is the gas consumtion between the 2?
    What size lawns are you cutting?