19hp Kaw start problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJL50, Jan 23, 2007.

1. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 19hp Kaw (on a Toro)with only 34 hours on it. At the end of the season I noticed it was getting a little harder to start. When I went to service it for the winter It took like 15min to get it going. Once running it would run rough for 30 sec. then run fine. Next day could not get it to start. It will crank, you can smell fuel but like it was not getting any spark. Would not fire on starting fluid. Once or twice it would just hit a little like it had gotten spark for just half second. Mower is under warranty so off to the dealer it went. Sat their for two weeks. Called today wanting to know what the problem is. They have been starting it all day with no problem. Any idea of what it could be. A bad part???

2. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

Maybe a safety switch wasn't made completely

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Coil maybe.

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Check your choke to see if it is closing all the way.

ericg likes this.
  5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 17 Kawi and that is what happened to it. If the throttle and choke are on the same cable this will happen.

6. DJL50

The throttle and choke are not on the same cable. It also would not fire with starting fluid.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Have them run the engine for awhile. turn it off and see if it starts.

8. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Did you ask the dealer what they did to get it started?

ericg likes this.
  9. DJL50

They said they did nothing but get on it and start it up. They called and asked why I had it their. Everything was ok. Is it possible for the coil to work off and on at times if it is in the process of going bad?

10. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I suppose it is possible but with the unit being so new I would doubt it. I would ask them exactly how they started it. One other thought, was the unit inside the dealer's heated shop? When you tried to start it was it in a heated or unheated space?

Once you got it started and warmed up did it start more easily?

ericg likes this.