1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

19hp kawi carb

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zedx, Apr 1, 2006.

1. zedx

zedx LawnSite Member
    from ny

I have a 19hp kawi engine, brand new in box. I bought over winter at a place going out of business. No warranty. Problem: it appears this engine has a bad carb (just my luck) is it worth to try rebuilding or should I just get a new carb.
    Like I said this is a new engine so carb is spotless, no dirt, but it is dumping way to much gas and spark plugs turn black in about 3 minutes running. And yes I did try to run it with out air cleaner and the choke is not stuck. It is the carb.
    Also just curious looking up parts it show 3 different jet sizes for different altitudes but if you look up whole carb it only has one part number. What jets are in carb?
    # off my carb 15003-7091 discontinued
    New number 15003-7118
  2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Rather than problems with the jets, it would seem to me that the problem is more likely with something lodged in the needle and seat which is preventing the fuel from shutting off when the bowl is full. Check to see also if there is any fuel inside the float(cracked float). If I'm not mistaken the main jet is fixed and therefore not adjustable. I recently had an FH500 that was fouling the plugs and the idle needle was set way to rich. You may have to pull the limiter cap to make adjustment. Just my initial thoughts.

Your mileage may vary.

3. zedx

zedx LawnSite Member
    from ny

My thoughts exactly.
    I just came back in from working on it. I pulled carb and checked everything.
    Blew it out put back on and all working fine. I think the float somehow got hung up.
    When I first posted I think I was overthinking problem, to much time in garage needed to just walk away
    for a while.