19hp Kawi, hard to start in cold

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by South Florida Lawns, Mar 16, 2006.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

It seems in the morning it takes 5 minutes to get my toro going, in only 50 degree temps.

I know its not good to run the starter that long but I don't know what else to do.

I could throw a heater in the enclosed trailer in the mornings, but that would be a pain

BTW its a 2005 and is carburated and air cooled.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

It doesn't sound normal to me mine hits in 5 seconds or less and in know where i live the temp is soo different,what does your dealer say to do.

3. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Screw dealers.

I don't talk to those d bags any more. They don't help out much and won't even let me borrow a mower while mine is down.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure the choke butterfly is closing completely on cold start-up ? That would be the first thing to check.
    Do you have any problems once it's been cranked in the morning through out the day ? (like every start-up)

5. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Yeah its closed

And she runs just as good as warm days.

Oh maybe its the oil, I am running 10w40 Mobil 1.

should I have a heavier oil? Its usually either 10w30 or 40

6. Restrorob

The 10w30 or 40 is just fine thicker oil could make it worse. Post the model and spec. numbers so I can take a look at which carb. they put on that one, There is a couple they used.

7. South Florida Lawns

from usa

8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it doesn't sound like it but, good to check anyway. how's the air filter? also the fuel filter might be partialy clogged. again it doen't sound like this, since you said it runs fine, but checking theese items won't hurt.

9. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Thanks mike

Yeah they are all clean and the fuel filter has no sediment.

10. Restrorob

OK Ryan, Give this a try. The pic. shows the low speed circuit adjustment screw, Open it up (counter clockwise) 1/4 turn and try it again. If no better try another 1/4 . You may have to remove the plastic stop on top of the screw to do this, Just grab it with needle nose pliers and pull straight up and it should come right off. It's possible it's adjusted a little too lean for cold start-up. When adjusted re-install the stop cap.

FH541V Carb.JPG