1acre Lawn Install Price

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mklawnman, Apr 29, 2003.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Have to look over a lawn that already has topsoil at but needs to be finished spreading and then power raked so the lawn can be seeded. ITs alittle over an acre and the homeowner started putting topsoil down but I guess he just dumped it all over the yard but their still is a few big piles there. I was figuring total of 10hrs of skid steer work and seeding. So i was going to charge them $60/hr for the skid steer work and $35/hr/mn for the seeding and raking part. That should cover rental fees and still have me make money. Looking at about $700 or so total. Sound decent?? Its just a thought I did and just want to see if its high or low, but i guess it does depend on travel time on the lawn with the loader.
    Any thoughts or opinions are helpful. Want to make money on this job but not make them break their backs for me on money.
    Matt

2. Harleyman

Harleyman LawnSite Member
    from NY

your doing that for .016 cents per square, your crazey dude. :dizzy:

3. mklawnman

Call me crazy or whatever. This is my first time putting together an estimate with a skid steer in it. You saying $60/hr for the machine is low?? or what??? Gotta be more specific man. Critize is one thing, but do that and then help me with it. "Crazy" doesnt help me. Hey Im learning how the whole estimates on landscape work goes ok. Cut me alittle slack here.
    Matt

4. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Way too low !!! After Bobcat rental and paying for 200-300 lbs of seed how are you going to make a profit??:confused:

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

1 acre of what sounds like bare soil. Depending on the seed rate you plan to use, you need 500-700 lbs of seed. You need fertilizer also, plus a bobcat.

6. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

We just do Hydroseeding but for one acre with basic prep/sreading soil we would be talking around $3,500

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

$3,500.00 is more like it with the prep work invlolved. After you prep it, sub out the seeding\fertilizing to a hydroseeding contractor to get good results and not break your back raking. You'll still make more money than your original posted estimate.

8. mklawnman

Thanks for the advice. Ill keep that all in consideration.
    Matt

9. mklawnman

They actually said on the phone that they didnt want hydroseeding done. Just seed it and thats all. Cause of the cost factor. Basically the house is on a acre and half of land with the lawn around it. Their seems to be plenty of topsoil on the site to use. I have to go and visit with them later this afternoon to find out more. I am guessin that a starter fertilizer is a necessity in having a good looking lawn come up?? I dont have my fertilizing license to put anything down unless I'd have the homeowner put it down maybe? Do I charge them the rental fee or should I charge them by the hour for using the skid steer?
    But we put a lawn in around my house a few years back with no fertilizer and it grew up and in thick really well.
    Matt

10. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

If you are just using fertilizer, you might not need a license. In many states, you can put down fertilizer as long as it doesn't have pesticides or herbicides in it without a license.