1rst leaf cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Shaw, Nov 4, 2002.

1. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

Did my first leaf cleanup with my Walker today. It did a great job, except the GHS did plug up on me a couple of times. Leaves are really running late here. :D

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

leaves are way behind here too. i wont be able to start first round cleanups till late this week or early next week. they are at least two weeks behind.

3. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I use a Walker GHS as one of my mowers for my business. I had the same problem. What I found is, pick up leaves when they are not real wet and go slow into piles that are thick with leaves. I've found that gator blades don't work that good for me as they don't help create enough airflow to pick up leaves cleanly on the first pass. Hope this helps!

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

When the leaves are moist of wet you have to slow down but more importantly, you have to keep the screen in the hopper clean. I carry a wire brush. The air flow has to be thru the screen and out the back for the vacuum to properly work. You will find much less clogging problems if you brush the screen off as it gets gummed up.Good Luck. I wouldn't be without my Walker.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

MOW ED ...well thank you for that tip....stupid me did not know the importance of keeping the screen clean...dahhh

6. David Shaw

Yeah I never even thought about that screen. The leaves in the front were kinda wet. I dumped 3 or 4 times in a relatively small front yard. Thanks for the tips. Oh I'm running raptor blades, not sure just yet if they work that great. Dave

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I didn't realize how much the screen played into the GHS until I took it out and cleaned it. I cleaned it regularly but didn;t take it out to see what was caked on where I couldn't see. I cleaned it off and it works mint. Keep it clear.

8. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

one other thing Ive learned while cleaning leaves is soon as that full alarm goes off, go dump...sometimes ill go just a few extra feet to finish a pass and in thick leaves thats all it takes ill be plugged up....I did a small job for a new leaf account last night...Gave the price at $40..very small yard the whole clean-up took 20 minutes...she kinda frowned at the price untill I was finished she couldnt beleve how well the walker cleaned her yard, told me she wanted me to mow next year. go slow through the thick leaves and listen to the mower...you will learn to tell if your starting to get plugged-up by the sound of the mower. just my ............... .02 worth

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This post is really making me start to question my choice of mowers. I will have to check a walker out in action.

Gravely_Man

10. David Shaw

I went fairly slow in the front. First pass with front of deck raised a little and next with it down. Dumped as soon as I heard the beeper go off. The back was pretty light. Took me two hours between mowing and using the shred and vac on flower beds. I told the lady $75.00 and she thought that a little high. But she was happy when I was done. Said she might call me in the spring. What do you think was I high or low. Dave