1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1st (and only) Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awayneward, Mar 11, 2004.

1. awayneward

awayneward LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out in this business, with no prior experience.
    I can only purchase one WB to start with. I am looking at a 54" JD. The only problem is that I am concerned with the width. I will not be able to get through many gates. Am I on the right track with my concern?
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Yes. A safe pair of mowers to look at are:
    32" will fit through any gate - Exmark makes 2
    36" will fit through 95% of gates - Exmark makes 4

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

What's you budget? A 54" is a big WB.

But then I don't have any gated yards to worry about.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well IMHO, it's pretty simple...you have 2 choices.

Choice #1 - buy a smaller mower

Choice #2 - don't take on accounts that have gated areas
  5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I would start with a good 21inch w/b and the 32inch w/b. The 21 will get you around all the small tight lawns and the 32 will help on some of your larger open area gated lawns. Since you are just starting I would stay with the smaller equipment until you can justify the big mowers.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i got a 26" wb to start out. its an mtd, swivel caster wheel,s 6.5 bs engine. works great. i got it off ebay, not sure if they still sell them.
  7. awayneward

awayneward LawnSite Member

I am also looking at a 48" New exmark. Belt Drive 1 has a Kohler ($2700) engine, the other has a Kawasaki engine ($2900) Both have full factory warranty . With a push mower for the small areas would that be a good start. Or should I consider a used hydro?
  8. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

I'm from a suburban area, and what I have found is that I really need 3 mowers, a 21" (i prefer honda), a 36, and a rider...starting out though i had only the 36, and it got me thru.
  9. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 54" Deere, Second season 0 problems, not even a belt. It is to large for most gates.
  10. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

I've got a 52" snapper walk-behind and have not had any gate-issues. If you think you can get the amount of work you need without taking on any small "gated" yards, do it! They can be a pain. If you think you'll need all the lawns you can get, you might consider a smaller one.

Also consider buying the 54" and pushmowing inside the gates. . . if it is a small gate, it is probably a small area to mow inside of it.