1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1st commercial bid, need some help.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Poncho25, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey all, I just got an opening to place a bid for my 1st commercial account, this is a condo unit that is 330x660 total sq.ft. That is the exact size of the lot not including the buildings, parking lot, walkways, pools an what not. There are small hedges on the bottom area, nothing to much. There are 3 Buildings and the parkinglot wraps around the place. So the cutting area is pretty small. I really just have no idea how to bid this, any help would be greatly appreciated!! I am a solo op, so this would take me probably a full day or two to complete. (this bid is just for mowing, edging, shrubs, blowing off walkways.*does not include any leaf cleanup, that would be a sep charge). I have a 44" toro-z if that helps with anyone who can help me with what to charge.

any other information that's needed to help me with this please ask. As always, I apreciate any and all help! Thanks guys/gals
  2. Poncho25

any help would be greatly appreciated!! anyone?
  3. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

You could figure it out hourly wise and go that route. Like if it takes 3-4 hrs x's your rate and then fudge in some extra in case for miscellaneous trimming.I wouldnt give up any residentials for a condo though. Condo assoc. show no loyalty to Lcos they go for lowest money only!! Hope this helps!!
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

We'll that about 5 acres with buildings to trim around I charge $65 an acre for flat ground and no trimming but trimming around buildings takes time and lots of it. I would be charging $325 if it were just lawn but since the actual mowing area is less and trimming will be more I would say between $325 and $500 per cut depending actual job, without seeing it I'm not sure.
  5. Poncho25

thanks guys, I was thinking around the 300-350 range so it seems I might be on target. Currently the guy who does this place charges around 275, but they have been very unhappy with him as he doesn't do a good job, destroys sprinkler heads, doesn't do good on cleaning up, and isn't cautious about people who might be near him while hes cutting/trimming.
  6. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I just put in a bid today for one a little bit bigger for $385 a cut, I hope that I can do it in less than 3 hours (two guys), IF I get it.
    I would say between 325-400 would be good, I don't know exaclty what the going rate is where you are, but where I am its about $60 an hour per worker.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Be careful about the destroying sprinker heads.....they should be down at ground level. If you get it I would make contract continguent on them paying you to fix them. We fix/charge for any head that stick up ...and we don't give them estimates. The other problem with a situation where you are going to do this alone is you will run out of gas near the end of the day and the final cleanup may suffer so watch out since that is a current problem.
  8. Poncho25

Great point here!! thanks for the insite. I completly overlooked that. I will do another walk thru tomorrow to check the heads, I do believe most of them are pop up, but they are not below ground level. More or less I think the guy is just careless and trys to rush through the place from what I have been hearing.
  9. hayseed

hayseed LawnSite Member

Two of us mow a 5 acre complex that is about what you are describing several buildings and quit a bit of trimming and we can only get $230. It is pretty competitive where we are. After you mow this complex a few times you will get a routine down and will be surprised how much faster you can do that job. Good Luck!:clapping: