1st cut for spring

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by American_Lawn, Jan 16, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

When is the best time to scalp bermuda and st augustine for the first time of the year? Do you guys put fert down afterwards also? I work in Texas if that helps. Thanks in advance

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

should have done the scalping last fall when the grass went dormant. you can put fert down in the spring or fall. avoid the summer.

3. American_Lawn

I did that with the bermuda, I was asking about the st augustine mostly because I helped a guy out this past season and he said he cut and baggind in the spring and that was the only time he did that. I was wondering if there was anything special that needed to be done in the spring for healthy growth?

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

If you prepare it well in the fall (e.g. scalp, fert, dethatch, aerate, etc) then you should be fine.

5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Scalp St Augistine? For the sake of the kids just say NO. Cut it a little shorter at the end of the season 3 in or so. Beginning of next season start out same hieght and work you way up to 3 3/4 to 4 or so.

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I don't scalp St. Augustine. I just work it down to about 3" or 3 1/4" at the end of the fall. When spring rolss around I cut it at 3" first thing, and then work it up to 4" or 4 1/2" a few weeks.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We will start working the lawns down over the next two months as we do leave mulching on these live oaks. Don't want to get St Augustine down too low before we get beyond the hard freeze times. Our goal is to have them pretty low by Mid March, then we fertilize.

8. American_Lawn

Thanks for the responses