1st cut of new seedlings

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by GripB, Sep 21, 2004.

1. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I aerated and overseeded a week and a half ago. I've had great success with germination. The seedlings are between 1 1/2" to 2" tall, but the existing turf is a jungle. How much longer should I wait prior to cutting with/running my 1,1100# Lazer around?

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I'm sure your Lazer can cut the jungle down to size, but I would really worry about all of that weight plowing over the tender seedlings, especially if you have to do any turning.

A lot of this probably depends upon the condition of the ground, wet or dry, sun or shade, soft or hard... Even a well established lawn can get chewed up good my a mower given certain conditions. Two weeks is the figure that is often tossed out there, but again, that depends upon the environment. I guess, start looking for a good warm day when the soil has dried out a bit, and then tip toe your Lazer forward and backwards over a few feet of the turf to see what happens. If so far so good then go for it, but I'd sure think twice before flipping U-turns on your new grass.