1st day with pg mag

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mr.GreenJeans89, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

it was my 1st day with my new pg mag08 and im very happy with most everything.just wondering what you guys that use a pg what do you do about jumping curbing.I did an account today that had alot of medians with total curbing surrounding them with no acsess to grass except to jump curbing.I just got off machine and walked it over curb i think its designed for that cuz the nozzles are up high enuf whee if you jump a curb it wont hit.Just wondering if maybe puting a ramp over them mite be a better idea.

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That is about all you can do....

Using a ramp would probably be better, but not very conveniant.

When I know I have to go over a curb or two there are two things I do:

1) If a smaller area, don't put much fert in the hopper. Just enough to do the area. I am sure it is much easier on the machine that way!

2) If it is a larger area inside a curb, get over the curb first and then fill your hopper.

Glad you got your new machine! I think you will find that is an awesome piece of equipment for you operation!

Good Luck!

3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a few of these types of properties, bunch of small areas with granite curbing
    around it all. Its easy to forget about the old faithfull push spreader, its usually faster for me to just manually treat these areas than fuss with constant curb jumping.

it may be stupid obvious, but walk behind the machine when jumping up the curb,
    youll get used to it real quick
    g/l with the new rig

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What's a push spreader?

Is that like manual labor? :laugh:

No...that is a good point!

5. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Those center islands are pain until you figure out the right way to hop them. I get about 1-2 feet away, slow way down then give it some gas and hop right up.

6. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Ya what the heck that would be work.

7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Also, put it in low gear and walk it up. "Bump" it up against the curb first, then let it climb on. Just a little easier on the machine.

Sorry Ross, didn't know you were posting at the same time. No offense

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

If the areas are small enough you can carry a hand crank (monkey grinder) to do small islands and strips. I throw one in the hopper of my PG and it comes in very handy quite often.

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

ah an enclosed air cond pg now thats an idea. lol

10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I carry a small hand held spreader for curbed areas. Be careful bumping to get up a curb. One of my engine housing cracked. I am not sure if it came from curb jumping. Now I go in low gear and push it up the curb. I also get off of curbs slowly. The engine had about 400 hours when it cracked.