1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1st Employee Jitters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by howardsells2000, Apr 6, 2007.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm hiring someone for the first time. I have to admit I'm very nervous. Terrified to say the least. I think I have enough accounts to justify this and I'm still getting calls for more estimates and I know I will get more accounts as the season progresses but I have also lost a few customers for various reasons. My bank account is not as fat as I would like but it's the beginning of the season and I know in about a month it will be a little fatter. I really don't have a question but I wanted to share my story.
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Good Luck!
  3. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

if get anymore accounts i'm going to have to get some help myself....I just got a boat load of new customers read my thread 30 new customers in 4 days
    I think I'm going to start researching workers comp.......:dizzy:
  4. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck with your new accounts.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck to you! I'm right at the MAX for being solo currently, but I'd have to find another 20 to 30 accounts to pay a helper and make more money in the process. Certinaly scary stuff I think. I guess that once you have one employee for a while you will get used to the new routine and learn your end of the ropes. What's the scariest part to me is how much money an employee actually costs! The other thing is always having enough work to keep them busy all the time.. It's hard to retain someone when you can't gurantee them a steady paycheck. Plus you have to have paitence! Something I lack...

I know my day is coming, when I have at least one full timer on the payroll. I'm watching for other guys selling out all the time. If I can score an already estiblished customer base and equipment for a reasonable price I may have to jump on it this time and jump into having help.
  6. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Within the past three years went from four full time employees counting myself and partner and plenty part time help during spring and fall. Right now going solo with part time help with all the same amount of work and still getting calls. All I can say is good money management and a good client list will always give you room for error and the changing times of this business. Good Luck.