1st H.O.A. bid, please help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mower power, Feb 21, 2004.

1. mower power

mower power LawnSite Member

I'm trying to put together a bid for a H.O.A. They have common ground in front of subdivision that is 2535ft X 100ft . It is mostly on about a 30-35 degree slope. The top (flat area) is about 15ft wide. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated! If this was a flat area no biggie, but on such a slope I have no clue. I'm not real sure about mowing on a hill for however long it will take. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Ugh. I hope you have a walk-behind. I dunno ... 15-30 min. worth of work? So about $40 or so?

3. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

Thats a half mile long... and 5 acres. At least 25% increase due to slope of that magnitude. 300-400 would be my guess.

4. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

First try to personally meet with someone on the home owners board. Usually they have a designated landscape representative, this is the person you want to impress most. Usually they say who they like and if your bid is competitive your will usually get it. Make sure you measure it yourself. Find out what services they need, usually they want full service plus sprinkler system taken care of. Figure out your time and bid accordingly. It would help to know your equipment and if you are bagging or not. I have a few other tips for you if you want pm me and i'll fill you in.

cush

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I got 5.8 acres just on the demensions not including the slope and while i would like 300-400 this is a H.O.A so they will be price shopping. Bid will probaly come in at 200-250 when you figure in the low ballers that go for accounts of this size i.e. Tru Green and Brickmans

6. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

"Ugh. I hope you have a walk-behind"
    .....But I thought a ZTR could handle a 70 degree slope..I mean Joshua had no problems..... he he he (old school joke) If your out there Josh, I hope life is good in Ohio. (no cutting on a 30-35 degree slope for me. Not with this belt drive) What goes up, free wheels down.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

On a 30-35 degree slope, I don't think you can come out ahead, especially with a HOA. The person doing the mowing is the only one who cares that it is a 30-35 degree slope. Whomever is agreeing to the price only sees that 2500x100 patch of grass, not the slope. Therefore, the price you give, which must include your "hazard" fee, is going to be a barrier. The only hope is that whomever else bid on it, put a "hazard" fee built into their bid too. Good luck, hope you win the bid.

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I despise Brickman....

9. mower power

mower power LawnSite Member

I'm not sure how long this will take a 3 man crew. The subdivision has 3 entrances with about an hour or so of trimming at each. I think with mowing and trimming there will be about 6 hours of work for a 3 man crew. Any more ideas about price? I pm'd you cush did you receive it?

10. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar situation. So many steep slopes I passed up the bid. But in thinking about it, a hazard fee seemed more than fair. Large steep slopes are more than unpleasant to mow, they're dangerous as well.