1st Job

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by jazak, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Here are some pics of one of my first rock walls I've put up. On this job we're putting up 2 & putting down some mulch. I'll get more pics when we're done. Sorry don't have before pics started the job late. Not bad for beeing only 15 & only using hand tools. (The profile is my dads.)

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

that looks like crap, it will not withstand time or weather, and will not stay up...... i think you should gain some more experience before you try and build a retaining wall......

not being a jerk, just saying you have to do better and have higher standards then that if you are going to compete with professionals:)

3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Im not liking the looks and quality of that wall either, looks if you have a rain storm that wall will get washed away.

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a better pic of the area? To see how itties in with everything else? To be honest it looks good if that is the look you were aiming for. That is why I would like to see the whole area WITH the wall.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I know you can do better at hand stacking that wall..you have to look for tyhe stones that will fit together good one at a time..spread them out and carefully pick them so they fit like a puzzle.So they look like they belong touching one another..see what I mean?So they will hold good..ya know?Take out the rounded wierd shaped ones and use squarish ones instead

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Take it back down and dig a small trench starting farther back and put down a good base of larger rocks so you have something steady and strong and flatter to work the other stones on top of ok?

7. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

doesnt look good. im 14 and we as in brother and father we built a wall wicked nice and it is simple except we did diferent stuff with them ill try to get pics to show u.

8. zim bob the landscaper

heres our first except the one in our back yard.

scan0002.jpg

9. zim bob the landscaper

and another

scan0003.jpg

10. zim bob the landscaper

heres the before....

scan0001.jpg