1st Landscaping Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Infinite, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

I just got offered my 1st landscaping job today. The lady wants mulch removed, new plastic layed down, and new mulch put down. The area is about 380 sq. feet. She also wants edging down around the mulch bed, and wants shrubs and small christmas trees trimmed. How do I go about charging this job?

2. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Materials(w/markup) + Time + maybe a little extra = Your Price.

3. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

What's wrong with the old mulch? And I would recommend not wasting time on the weed barrier, unless she replaces the mulch on a regular basis. But, if she still wants the weed barrier, make sure it's not made out of PLASTIC!

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Try to convince the lady not to remove the mulch. I just bid a job just like that. If you remove the mulch its going to be so expensive it will probbly scare them away inless they have deep pockets go for it.

5. launboy

from indiana

Ya preen that mulch, much better than fabric or whatever.

6. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

What is an hour labor worth of laying mulch? She wants rid of the old mulch because its 10 years old, and it slopes down in the middle and she wants it to be even.

7. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Access is the key. How far do you have to take it? On average, I would say 1 yard-45 minutes. If you have to put down 380 square feet all new bedding that would be about 4 yards. Keep in mind though if you have to wheel barrow this very far it will really eat in to your time.

8. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

I only have to wheelbarrow it about 25 feet. The mulch is on the side of the house which I measured out to be 20 ft.X 3 ft., the front which is 48X4 and the other side which is 26X4.5.

9. launboy

from indiana

NO LESS than $65 maybe $70 per yd in my opinion but you have charge no more than your market will handle. That price is with preen.

10. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

You'll be fine. Remember if you do have to remove the old mulch, that will take longer to remove than put down new....and I would imagine a real pita!