1st Lighting Install, please critique

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by 101 Lawn Care, Jun 6, 2008.

1. 101 Lawn Care

101 Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Just wondering what the professionals think of this job.

2. 101 Lawn Care

still trying to get the pictures to work

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

You may have to down size it to about 800x800 to upload it.

4. 101 Lawn Care

Thanks for the help

pic 1.JPG

pic 2.JPG

5. NightScenes

How honest do you want us to be on this?

6. 101 Lawn Care

As honest as you can you won't hurt my feelings. This is my home so I did not take anyones money for this. Some areas appear darker than they are in the pictures, because I have many trees in the front beds which obstruct some angles. It is actually brighter in person.

7. NightScenes

OK, here's a start and I'm sure others will chime in. First I would back light some of those trees!! I would also down light that walkway from those trees instead of using all of those path lights. This will make the area not appear so dark as well. You need to more evenly light the home. This may require using something other than bullet lights, maybe some wash lights mixed with bullets. You need more focus on the entry to the home, this is where the lighting should have the most intensity. I can't even see where it is in these photos.

That will get you started. This is great that you are starting out on your own home because you can learn about all of the different lamps and beam spreads as well as the effects that you can get out of different fixtures. You also have a combination of rock and siding on this home which will show you what grazing will do on different textures. You have tall trees to allow for up and down lighting which can give you practice on your moonlighting techniques as well.

Good luck in your learning and try everything!!

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto what paul said. I would definatly utilize thoes nice trees in front to my advantage in creating some depth.

I too had to look around for the front entrance which should be pretty obvious at first glance.

The middle of your photo seems to be the brightest. This needs to be tones down a bit and or the front door area made brighter. I would probably add a few fixtures to the home and remove the pathlights and swap them out for tree mounted fixtures but be sure where you mount the tree fixtures that you cannot see a glare or hot spot from the front side view.

Just some ideas. Im sure your lighting is much better than it was before you installed anything. Is the homeowner happy ?

9. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

He is the home owner.

10. 101 Lawn Care

Paul, when you say backlight the trees are you talking about using bullet lights. And are wash lights the same as well lights. I appreciate your time and honest comments. Thanks