1st Lowball Hit of the Season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Americal Vet, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I had a monthly contract with a local church which had some serious slopes but only a hand full of trees, etc. I gave them a deal of $510.00 per month, and I was almost doing it for nothing, about 4.5 acres. I did it because it was a church, my church.

Here comes a couple of guys, both around 19 or 20 with homeowner push mowers and bid it for 200 per month. More power to 'em. But it steams me because it continues all over. I talked to a couple of other LCO's down at a garage the other day and they have both lost some commercial accounts to low ballers. Guess I just needed to vent!:cry:

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Happens every stinkin year , and when its 98 + degree's out and high humidity they wont be found. This also happens every stinkin year. The church will be calling you back and bust them for $600.00 ! per month now !

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Say it isn't so! Happens every year - yes. But do people really know what there pricing. Do these guys attend your church? If not - that is a slap in the face. Loyality is out the window now days. One lco took 3 accounts this year from me. All nice accounts too but he bid so low that I can't see how. One account was about 2 hours - my price was 46.50 for the job, the other lco went to $30 / cut. Now he has been around as long as I have and he bidding so low I don't understand it.

Now it was mentioned when 98 degrees hit - this account will come back crying - I really don't beleive it.

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

As told in a previous post.

I bid a comm. property at $1125 per month and my ex partner bid it for $425 per month!!!:hammerhead: I asked him why and he said he wanted to steal the contract from me and it was an easy job. :hammerhead:

I did an estate home for $440 per month last year...he text me and asked what we charged them last year so I told him $290 LOL. He asked if it was ok to bid $275.00....I said sure.

I tried to help him but he is his own worst enemy and competition.

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

Well iam assuming there 2 young kids who dont have a clue about this profession. :laugh: Not a Full time Lco .

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Yuor church will be calling you back very soon, trust me !!

7. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

Today I called to try and seal a deal to remove and replace 610 linear feet of black vinyl edging and topdress with 40 cubic yards of custom colored mulch. the bid was around $6500. I was told that the business got a bid from their new lco for $1075 HAHAHAHA.

I hear "dueling banjos" playing in the backround. Their price is less than the our cost of the mulch alone, and we have considerable buying power as a bigger company. This guy will not be able to even pay his suppliers, let alone his gas and labor.

As long as there are people this stupid, good accounts will let them work for free.

I feel your pain!

8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

you should have did the opposite of what you did. tell him you did it for $600. that way when he bids $575, it will still be higher than what you were doing it at.

9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

Thats funny ,that doesnt even pay for the mulch and Delivery fee. That is if there really gonna put down the 40 yds. ?