1st oil change for 24hp honda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RobertCT, Mar 25, 2005.

1. RobertCT

RobertCT LawnSite Member

The scag manual for my new scag tiger cub w/ 24 hp honda says the first oil change is at 5 hours. The honda manual says its at 20 hours. Does this have something to do with seating the rings? I'm inclined to follow the engine manufacturer recommendations. Any opinions?

2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It is a process of breaking in a new engine, after 5 hours of use some of the normal shavings from manufacture and seating have come loose. they are in the sump and the filter. It certainly can not hurt to change at 5 hrs. Be sure to change your filter too. You can follow either therory, however better to error on the side of safety IMHO. If you wait until 20 hrs.... some of those shavings "could" go through the system and begin causing premature wear.

3. RobertCT

RobertCT LawnSite Member

Anyone else have comments? Manuals are a bit contradictory on this inportant task

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

20 hours seems like a too long to wait for the first oil change. The kawasaki engine manual on our new Ferris says to change the oil at 5 hours so i'm sure it would be a good idea to do the same for your new Honda.

5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent advise,always cheaper to change oil then to change an engine...

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

just like they stated above, tiny metal shavings come loose during break in, so you have to be sure to change the oil and filter.

7. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

after all its only 2 qts. of oil ,not a big expense to change,my only advice is to use conventional oil for first 100 hr.so everything seats correctly,then if you choose to go with synthetic,or one of the new blends

8. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I'd be inclined to go with the engine manufacturers recommendation. Honda makes the determination on their break-in period based on their engineers input and their experience. Changing oil at 5 hours may not allow the parts to fully seat.
    The 5 hour figure in the mower manual may be based on Kawasaki and Kohler recommendations.

9. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

bill w is right. I worked in the precision machine building business for 14 years. Machine break-in period is critical and is also manufacturer specific. Follow the engine manufactures recommendations as they know what is required to properly seat their piston rings, valve seats and so on based on the alloys and harness of the components they manufacture with.

Mike

10. RobertCT

RobertCT LawnSite Member

I got some differences of opinion here? I'ts obviously not about the costs, but what is best for the engine. Is there any way I can get make direct contact with an engineer types at honda to explain their rational on waiting until 20 hours??

Thanks again