1st post ever from MA

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gosselin142258, May 20, 2007.

1. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Hello everyone out there as the title says this is my first post on this site. I do read alot and I find alot of great stuff especially the way you guys discuss advertising and customer service. Anyhow I am in the business not with my own outlet but instead at a Catholic Cemetary in my area. I recently got out of jail after a 6 month bid for OUI and a handfull of other police throwins A&B,resisting arrest,ect.. And while I was there I had much time to ponder my life and where i'd like to go with it. I thought what types of things do I enjoy. People,outdoors,work and money are a few. I ended up landing this job at the cemetary and I absolutely love it. My foreman there is only a few years older than myself and he's a recent new home buyer with two kids and we discuss on the daily basis what to do as far as extra money and all that. We are in Mass and we figured maybe we could start out doing afterwork jobs and weekend work and also take our vacation time together (4weeks a year)and knock out some jobs. he has mostly everything (trimmers.mowers,blowers,rakes,all the goodies.) all we'd really need is a trailer. I don't drive due to the OUI and I figured my investment could be the trailer until I can drive. I know this post may have been from one extreme to another but I wanted to introduce myself and also Find out when is the best time to start advertising for spring clean ups. I have computer/printing skills and I will be able to make all of my own advertising materials. what month is the best should I start before spring to try to secure some jobs? I know I could've probably searched on here but I figured I'd throw it in with my introduction. thanks Jon

2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome, I'm in MA also.
    I'm assuming your talking about cleanups for next spring because mine are all done except for some late comers who decide to call and finally get the property cleaned up. Advertise at the end of March beginning of April. Most cleanups in MA are done in April after all the snow has melted.

3. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Hey thanks for getting back. You're up in the lowell area as I can see. How's the crime up there I heard lowell/lynn is getting out of hand w/ asains