1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1st retaing wall install ?'s with PICS

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Premier landscaping south, May 25, 2009.

1. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some pics to get a visual. My 1st wall install so I have a few questions.

Here are the basics:

100' x 3' tall average. I plan on using a 6 inch crusher base and #57 backfill with drain pipe.

Here is my delema: Would you backfill the whole 100'?. You can see RR ties in the pic. I plan on keeping the ties in place and building the wall in front of them. Backfill the wall in front of the ties or not? Also the junipers seem to be doing a good job of preventing water run off. I plan on removing some of the junipers to create 3 circular areas for crepe myrtle install with mulch, in the middle of hill. The only place I see water run off is to the left of RR ties. This area I suggested mulching the bare spot on slope to help control run off. I need the work and want to keep costs down, but want to do the job correctly to prevent further maintance in the future by clients or myself. Down here in the Southeast we can get some heavy rain due to tropical depressions in the fall.

Keystone compact 2 300@6.70 $2010.00
    Caps 67@5.95 $399.00
    adhesive 12@5.35 $65.00
    pins 600@.025 $150
    weed barrier 3'x100' $28.00
    crusher run (footer) 3 ton $74.00
    #57 stone (backfill) 18-20 ton $700.00
    4" perf w/sock 100' $92.00
    4' solid pipe 100' $65.00

Total $3638.00

Wall and cap will be delivered. I will pick up crusher and backfill. My trailer will haul 8,000Lbs, so I figure 3-4 trips 15 miles from supplier to job site. I will be digging footers myself with shovel in clay. I plan on having very little help with job.

I was thinking of charging 45 hours at $50 an hour.
    Labor $2250
    material $3638
    Total $5888

Any suggestions would be very gratefully recieved.

retaining wall.jpg

r w 2.jpg
  2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I think if you give away work that cheap your gonna be out of business, I also think that your material estimate for the base construction is off..
  3. Premier landscaping south

Thanks for the advise.

I failed to include the $150 freight charge and a $300 job credit was included on my materials estimate.
  4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

If I was to price this job, and im not because I dont have enough info for me, I know that I would be at least $10,000.00
  5. Premier landscaping south

10-4. I went to my supplier, JD landscapes and talked to a guy who deals with hardscapes and he is the one who calculated the materials list. He took his time with me and I would hope the list is close. It looks like I will have value my labor more.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

You are way way off. Be very careful.

Your base alone is going to be in the 7 to 8 ton range not 3. 102 foot long trench, 2 feet wide, and 8 inches deep (minimum not sure what your conditions are) is about 5 cubic yards. Utilizing 1.5 for the conversion of yards to tons you figure 8 tons of base material (not sure but we use QP, 3/4 minus, road stone...never heard of crusher...assuming its 3/4 with fines).

Your calculations alone for material seem way off which probablly indicates your labor assumption is as well. IMHO, by the time you figure equipment rentals, materials, repairing existing turf/landscaping, draiange, etc. I would be well over 12k for this job.
  7. ppl

ppl LawnSite Member

I think your #'s are ok I came up with quanities that are close, but your labor is off. Are you planning to work fo wages? No pofit, no depreciation, no taxes.
    Local, state and federal
  8. Premier landscaping south

I'm picking up what you guys are laying down. The base calculation is off for sure. I believe he calculated it for a 12" wide base @ 6". Thanks for bringing that to my attention along with other not thought of details. Thanks for your valuble time and insight. I'm going to have to learn to calculate this stuff on my own and quick to avoid getting burned.

9. Premier landscaping south

Point well taken my friend. Thanks for the straight up critizism to help a fellow out. I thank god for this site and the people who are willing to take a few minutes to lend a helping hand.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

well for my 2 cents.
    1. way to take some criticizem
    2. check out you tube. versa-lok and rogers block have some nice videos