1st System

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mikegyver, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Installing my 1st system today. Wish me luck. I'll post pictures later.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Take your time, think it through, don't expect to make any money on it; it's a learning curve, after all. I cringed every time I drove by my first system, it was so amateurish. :cry: Good luck.

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

no doubt
    doesn't surprise me
    figures

4. irritation

I still service my 1st System. It's been through 3 or 4 homeowners since but still the best looking yard in the neighborhood.
    1984 or 85 I think. My first side job.
    S-600 rotors- only a couple left
    570 sprays- only one replaced
    252 valves- all working fine
    EL-6 controller- still working
    Mini-clic- still working
    Toro PVB- still tests good
    Class 200 PVC- no problems

5. Mikegyver

The front yard already has a system, but I'm adding 2 zones of MP3000/3500 to the back yard. I'm also having to install a DCVA because all they had was some wierd PVC deal from the 80s that looks like 2 pressure reducers.
    Today I spent half a day on it and got it trenched. Ran over 4 lateral lines in the front yard with my trencher, but didn't hit any other of the utilities. I stayed a good 2 feet away on either side of the gas and phone lines. I wouldn't have gone through the laterals if I had known where they were, but they were nearly impossible to locate since the system was installed years ago. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get all the lines/heads/etc installed, probably going to have to come back and work on filling trenches, wiring the 2 zones onto the current controller, and testing the DC.
    Overall its pretty simple for my first system. Customers are great and easy to work with. Great learning experience. Crazy amounts of roots and iron ore were the only other issues today. But nothing I wasn't used to.
    Thanks!

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Learn to dowse. I use my sticks daily and i am close enough to dig without damage.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

My first was ugly too. I was able to help it out over the years as I learned more. Good luck.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I only have one system that I seriously regret installing the way I did. The flow was weak due to old galvi service line feeding into the house, and it has slowly gotten worse. I've changed some zones out to MP 1000 due to the flow, and we may even try the Toro Precision nozzles this year instead. Mini rotors were awful, and splitting the zones is not really an option (or better yet, I'm just plain not doing it).

9. irritation

I'm not liking the mp's. Grass grows in the nozzles keeping them from rotating or spraying weird. They're too expensive for that crap.

10. Mikegyver

I've tried but with little success. Any tips?