1st Time at doing this. (pics)

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ChiTown Lawnboy, Oct 29, 2007.

1. ChiTown Lawnboy

ChiTown Lawnboy LawnSite Member

I have been doing lawn maintenance all my time in busines. Here are some pics of my attempt at building walls & doing a driveway accent.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    During
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChiTown Lawnboy

ChiTown Lawnboy LawnSite Member

All done (PICS)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

priceless! :rolleyes:

4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

a level would have helped a ton.

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I swear I was thinking the same thing....I thought it might have just been me and the wine I had tonight at this wine tasting. Its a great idea and design, but it doesnt look level at all....

6. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

allow me...
    I am sure the customer is thrilled with the outcome and is so excited to plant the areas and play hoops in his newly renovated? driveway area. however, the under/over for that wall coming down is 18 months and I am taking the under. the paving border could have been better and with time and the purchase of a level and perhaps a string line, you could actually make something look nice. The border could use some type of soldier course or rowlock edge rather than straight cuts against plastic edge restraints. The radius looks like it was cut with a hacksaw. The bondlines might be a little off also. one tip, walls are not belgian blocks, the need to be LEVEL to function. I can say without reservation that this is one of the funniest things I have seen on this forum. The utter lack of clue and proud display of an awful, dangerous, poorly built and designed job is comical. Mr. Aponte held his tongue with his comment and I tried, but this is what gives landscapers a bad name. Now, in an effort to remedy this situation, lets go over a few things.
    do you think it looks good?
    compared to what?
    what can you do different next time?
    who is responsible when that wall comes down?
    do you have the capital to warranty this type of project?
    Here is the silver lining:
    You had balls to take on a project like this and your design is going in the right direction (not there but going towards it). If you actually took the time to learn and read about basic construction methods and worked on some small jobs with an experienced hardscaping company, you could do this. the good thing is that now you have some classic pictures for down the road that you can look back on and say "WHAT THE F**K WAS I THINKING!!"
    Good Luck my man.

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Well Cedarcroft hit the nail on the head and was alot nicer than I would have been. Your base prep is awful. Did you use a compactor or hand tamper? Your excavation is not nearly wide enough. Your walls are all over the place. It's just not good! Maybe stick to lawn mowing....Please!

Chris

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am sitting in my truck on my laptop in front of my job site. The laptop is running off the battery and for once i am happy that the screen is dim so i can't see those pics!

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

mrusk, since you are on your laptop, post some stinkin pics of that job!!! :) did you get the marble in yesterday?

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

No marble comes in tommorrow. But there is a catch. Since the clients personal designer went out of town this week i am not allowed to start laying it until she comes back.:dizzy: Highend jobs ain't they great! Don't worry, i knew exactly what i was getting into when i priced it out and am being compensated well.

So we are building the backyard boulder wall today and part of tommorrow. Then i need to figure out what to do the rest of the week if the town does not get me my wall permits.