1st time getting my z stuck

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

Well, I did it. Mowing a property that was very wet got my z stuck up against a fence. It was my last pass around, going too slow the a$$ end slid right up next to the fence. Couldn't go anywhere and the more I tried the worse it got. Luckily it's a phazer and not very heavy at all. My helper was not there cause of a 4 wheeler accident. had to call a friend and we just pulled it out. Only lost about 1/2 hr. Not too bad. I will be more careful next time for sure. If you by yourself and get stuck what is the best way to get out? Thanks

Mark

2. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Keep you two or three 2x6 boards in the back of your truck and either a cement block or another block of wood that is about 6x6. If you can jam the boards under the tires, do it. If not, use the boards and the 6x6 to lift up one side and put the board under your tires. Repeat for the other side.

Make sure your boards are about 4' long..

That 6x6 or 8x8 block of wood comes in handy for a lot of things. Chock your wheels with it, I use it to set my trailer tongue on it when I unhook it. When I hook back up, toss the block in the back of the truck. I use it for cargo spacers to keep things from rolling around in the back of the truck as well.

The boards really don't take up any room in the back of the truck.

3. Cracker Station

Cracker Station LawnSite Member

I was cutting a commercial property and got mine stuck after making several passes in the corner of a privacy fence. Wasn't fun!!!! Luckily my son worked there. He thought he could drive it out, but couldn't. It did not sink, just broke the grass on top and sat there and spun. I tell ya what, this old man pushed like hell while my son throttled it just enough to gain traction again. It is a bad feeling to be so helpless. I hope I never go through that again. I have a 9,000 lb winch on my trailer, but was no good to me in this situation. I am gonna get me an inexpensive come-a-long for situations like this.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Long rope and a truck is the easiest. I've gotten my Z stuck 3 times, two times crossing a ditch and bottoming out and another time in a muddy "wet land". Had to take the truck out on the grass for that one, luckily it was a commercial and you couldn't see the tire marks.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No doubt, but make sure it's at least 4,000 lbs. test (really stronger is better) and you need 100 feet minimum, the rope should be strong enough where if you tie your truck off to a tree single-strand, given enough throttle it will smoke the tires without stressing the rope to the point of breaking <- Reason I say this is if that rope breaks under stress, it will snap like a rubber band and the loose end can come flying through the back window of the truck with tremendous speed and force, enough to cut a limb (leg or arm) or kill someone.

I recommend tree climbing rope myself, something along the lines of 6,000-7,000 pounds test or stronger.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

All the trucks had 200' of rope and a Come-a-long. It only happened a few times but it was nice to be able to get it out when it did!!

7. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

You have given me an idea . . .perhaps a Portable Warn Winch is in order . . . .

8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

To use it 1 time, maybe twice a year? I'll stick to a $10 rope.

9. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I'll agree with that. I have an 8000lb Warn on the trailer and it's still easier to use the truck in a case like this.

I got mine stuck once being stupid and getting too close to a creek. It was swampy and I'm thinking the more I can get with mower, the less I have to get with the wacker. Idiot.....:hammerhead:

Sank it clear up to the bottom of the engine. Mud slinging everywhere until the treads covered over. I tried the boards, rocks of various sorts, even tall weeds.... nothin' doin.

I have a front receiver on my truck for pulling out bushes and dragging logs. It came in handy that day. It's just easier to unhook and use the truck and a rope or binder chains. Unless you have another use for the winch, I wouldn't lay the money out. A come-along wouldn't be a bad investment though. If I know I'll be by myself cutting down trees, (or general mischief) I usually carry two and plenty of chain.

A

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

how you liking the phazer'??