1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1st time that I didn't finish all my fall cleanups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by illday, Dec 6, 2005.

1. illday

illday LawnSite Member

I am a 1 man operation (prefer it that way) and got to a point this year where I decided not to take on any more clients. I was able to handle the
    bigger lawn route but this year the increase in cleanups has been more than
    I can handle.

It's snowing and I have 6 cleanups left to do. I was hoping to have all my
    cleanups done by the end of the week. I'm hoping my customers will understand. Hopefully, when the snow melts it won't be too late to finish them. Anybody here still have fall cleanups left undone? Should I call the
    clients to let them know that I still plan on doing the cleanups when the snow
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

we have a hard freeze, snow on the ground and more on the way, cold all week and next, may not thaw till spring...... calling clients not finished today and explain nothing i can do about it, will have to wait till spring cleanups if this weather doesnt change
  3. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

im in the same boat it snowed about a day to early I have 4 left and it doesnt look like there going to get done any time soon, nothing you can really do about it, its never fun explaining that to the customer though.
  4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a butt load (65) left to finish up, mostly just a few leaves here and there to achieve perfection. Should only take a week or less so if it melts by next monday I'll still have 2 weeks before Christmas. Plenty of time, plenty of time! I'm solo too. The good thing is that they've been kept up with so no house looks bad, I just need to tidy up all the stuff blown around the last week or two.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

according to geo, this makes you a sloth. this should have been done in september.
  6. lawnguyland

Yeah, what's wrong with us? We should have cleaned the leaves directly from the branches of the trees in october or november. We suck.:)
  7. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

You have 65 left to do AND you are solo? :dizzy:
    Why are you trying to achieve perfection? There are always going to be a few leaves blowing around. We can't control the neighbours not having theirs done. I tell my customers that when their own trees are finished dropping and I have cleaned up theirs (and I don't promise 100% perfection either), then I am done. What is left will be for SPRING cleanup.

I have only 1 yard left but that is their fault as they told me not bother yet as their tree had a few leaves left yet. Now everything is too frozen and snowy. Guess it'll be a bigger spring cleaning bill next year.
  8. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Is it normal in your area to be doing cleanups this late. Around here if you finish by thanksgiving your pushing your luck. It seems kinda late to be finishing up.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I still have 3 or 4 left I 'COULD' do, But i don't think they will get done till march, the snow season is here, and if it does melt brfore March it will be too cold anyway, and i will have lost my "Groove", so to speak.
  10. lawnguyland

Very normal. Clean ups don't even really start in earnest until After Thanksgiving. We're zone 7, surrounded by water so temps are usually moderated and the season is 2nd week of march to 3rd or 4th week of december, "normally". I'm not stressed, they're mostley done, I'd like to edge beds/walks once more, neaten-up. If I finish I do, if not, I don't.

The reason for trying to be close to perfect is that that is what's expected (and paid forpayup )