1st time with the commericial boys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Jan 16, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good load of landscaping/snowplowing experience. I've been doing commercial snowplowing for 2 years. However, my landscaping hasn't ventured into commercial yet. Last summer I had 70 resis and business was great.

Is it worth picking up some commericial or should I stick to residential? I will be expanding from one team to 2 for this coming summer and will be aiming at twice as many resi accounts - 140 total.

Commericial is in the back of my mind.... and my questions are... what are the main contributing factors to pricing a commericial job?

Do you price by acre then add on extra for the ammount of trimming you're assuming there will be, ammount of sidewalk to edge, etc.... ?

Any help would be great

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but nice to see you around here again long time no see...:drinkup:

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I just put together a few bids for some local chain restaurants and it took me awhile but I just priced as if I were doing a regular residential. The bid proposal's were more in detail but basically the same thing, mowing, trimming, mulch etc.

4. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I'm back, getting ready for the mowing season already since we haven't had a plowable snow since 12/31.

The winter started off great! Made enough to buy a couple new Z's, but that's it =(

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

When figuring out a bid for commercial work, here is what you do. One, cost it out and add in the amount of profit you would like to get. Two, cost it out and add in the minimum amount of profit you would take. Three, now take the amount of #2's estimate and subtract anything from 1/3 to 1/2 of that amount.

Unfortunately, that amount is probably the number that will get the job...case closed.

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

My advice exactly Rod....:)