1st upgrade from a 21 inch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 24, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I only am cutting with a 21in now and am wondering what is the next size u guys think I should get. Most of my current customers are 1/8-1/4 acre lots.
    I'm thinking a 36 wb would be the most logical and affordable choice as I could use it to cut back times on most existing jobs and if need be could use my small 21 as a back up. Of course I'd like to have a 48 or bigger Z, a 36 and 48 in wb, and big trailer, but all that would be over 10 grand and I'm having to probably finance this so I'm trying to keep in as small a debt as possible but yet still help me do my jobs faster as well as get me in a bit bigger neighborhoods. I have about 25-30 regular weekly-bi-weekly customers now. So would the 36 be the best first upgrade or should I go larger like a 42 or 48?
  2. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i'm in the same boat myself...i'm trying to stay out of debt, but i also want to grow a little bit...

i think i will go for a 36" first because it can fit through "most" gates...
    that size will cut my mowing time in half without cutting into my profit to much...
  3. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

I believe the largest you can fit in a full size pickup bed is a 48", I personally would go with a 36" In case you ever run into gates.
  4. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I say get a 36", It will cut your time greatly and you will still be able to get in gates and tighter areas.
  5. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

I just got a 2 year old 36" toro T-bar WBH mower with about 25 hr on it for about $1600. It is great. I have a 48" Z but I am doing more and more small lots that have great lawns. The 36" goes thru the gates and gives a great cut, without being to big on the small yards. Some of the bigger yards, a 40 or 44" would be nice, but that would be to large for some gates. I use the Z when I am on a scrappy yard or cutting a large area, but the smaller high end yards, the poeple said they did not want all the weight of the Z on their yard.
  6. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

That's a heck of a deal with only 25hrs on it. payup
  7. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good application for a Quick 36.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

1/8th to 1/4 you may find your self weedeating more.....

you just wont be able to turn around tight corners and such.

sometimes bigger is NOT better

however it would let you expand to larger lawns.

but my expearance has been to get equiptment when there is a need.

just my 2 cents worth
  9. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

How hard it it to turn around? Is it easier than the Z? What is the avg ground speed compared to a standard 21? I've heard units like the quick 36 can go around 4 mph whereas a basic 21 only 2mph.
  10. mitw44

mitw44 LawnSite Member

I would say get a 32" gravely or toro. I mowed the first couple years with 21 inch mowers. The gravely was a natural step up for the smaller residential lawns I focus on.

Plus think of what size trailer you have to work with. A 32" and a 21" fit well on a 5x8 trailer.