1st yard today.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tropical breeze, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tropical breeze

tropical breeze LawnSite Member

I have handed out 6 flyers and in one week got a call to do a sub shop on a 1/2 acre lot. The average cost is around 20 to 30 dollars per cut So I said I would do it for $ 20.00 so I did not have everything ready to go because didnt think I would get any call just handing out 6 flyers So I went to home depot. I KNOW!!!! got a weed wacker and ran home and loaded my mustang thats right mustang. Mower in front seat and everything else sticking out the window. It looked so funny. So I get there and the guys says would you like to relandscape the place for me. ANSWER YES and to sort it up My first account started off as a $ 20.00 cut and ended up a 470 dollar job. and he wants me to come back every 2 weeks for the winter. Great 1st. cut maybe this is a sign that Im doing the right thing.

2. RHooper

RHooper LawnSite Member

CONGRATS ! on your first one, and best of luck to you.

Rick :clapping:

3. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Hilarious. Good luck to you man. Also raise your prices.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. tropical breeze

Thanks. In this area it was loaded with home builders and now thats gone alot of them have moved in to the lawn care business. When I was cutting his lawn a car pulled up and handed him a flyer. I didnt think anything of it. But later after I was done he showed me the flyer and it said winter special $ 20.00 a cut. Glad I wasnt at 25 or 30 bucks on this one may have lost the landscape job to them. If I average $ 30.00 an hour that works for me for now I am solo and everything I have right now is payed for not the best stuff but starts first try and the blades are sharp. I cant wait to get # 2

5. RHooper

RHooper LawnSite Member

Hello again,
    If you don't mind a little advice, price your work according to what makes YOU profitable, don't base off of what someone else is doing. I call it the "R C C", which stands for "RUMOR CONTROL COMMISSION". If you listen to all the rumors, and try to copy the others, you may be cheating yourself. The others may not be profitable. (And, at $20.00 or less per cut, I doubt they are) You price your work in order to be profitable, do great work, take great care of your customers, keep your equipment up, and I am sure you will do well. And don't be so quick to listen to the R C C ! Good luck !

Rick

6. tropical breeze

Thanks today I averaged $ 32.00 per hour PROFIT thats right were I want to be this year and next year $ 35.00 per hour this is my goal. I would like to get enough work to work 35 to 40 hrs a week . I do understand what you are saying if I price to low and have 100 customers I will still make nothing. I understand business perfect we are in this to make money. I manage a 7 million dollar restaurant Trust me I understand a P&L very well. Once again thanks for the feedback.

7. tropical breeze

This job just turned in to him wanting me to do more landscapeing at the sub shop and he also wants me to take care of his yard now which is on 3 lots. Very cool. I guess he liked my work.

8. joeman13

joeman13 LawnSite Member

Retardd!!!! Good Luck. 20$ for 1/2 acre. Not so much. More like $60 if you do a good job.

9. joeman13

joeman13 LawnSite Member

Put a picture of your equiptment in work and in the car

10. joeman13

joeman13 LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

Theres you! :))