1st year for fertilizer. HELP!

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Smitty58, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I want to expand this spring into doing fertilizer and weed control. I have a lesco dealer 20 minutes from home. I went to talk to them and they gave me a little info on licensing and told me about their spreaders. What are the things I will need to do this and where can I learn how to do them? (I.E. ,license, equipment, insurance)
    Thanks,

2. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

There is a ton of valuable information available if you use the SEARCH function on this web site. Everything from licensing in your state, equipment, and insurance. Give it a try.

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

First and foremost you need to contact the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture in Reynoldsburg, Ohio and get yourself a pest license. Lesco should be able to help you set up a basic fert program. Lesco is a good source for equipment and supplies too. Spend time here too there is a ton of info at your finger tips, use the search feature to access hours of reading material.

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

i will tell you what you need to no call odoa 641-728-6200 have the packet sent to you go to lesco in my area they have a guy that offers classes take them it will help then take the test call insurance comp and get inc to apply the product 80 pond hopper stainless steel 3 gal sprayer 5 gal backpack sprayer and you are making money

5. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

hole in one lco- assuming you have this equipment ,how much did all that cost and how much do you make off of it? I did call and talk to someone at the state office about licensing. I have my agent working up a price for ins. for fert. ,and I stopped in at my local Lesco dealer. They seem to be the place to go, very knowledeable and willing to help the new guy. Thanks for all the great advice ,keep it coming.

6. hole in one lco

fertilizing is not cheap spreader 300 sprayers 300 lic cost 180.0 but the good news is i went from charging 30.00 to 60.00 so it all works out in the end we are all in this biz because the money is so good once you start seeing it . it took me a year to pay of all my equipment i don't owe any body any thing but good serves.
    if you get 10 jobs next year from fert 2cus pay for the fert and 2 pay for the equipment 2 pay the insurance that leaves 4 for your pocket

7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

Smitty58,
    I sent you a pm.

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

hole in one,
    Time for some grammar lessons maybe????????

9. hole in one lco

i have a girl with 3.8 gpa to do all paper work for me all i do is the labor and a d@#$ fine job i do.

heres my theory all i have to do is be able to sine my name not right a book so i dont care for grammar never did never will

oh ya spelling not so good ether it seems every time i hit spell check my computer blows up

if you can read my posts and get something out of them whats the differences