1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

1st Year of business is coming to an end.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Cutting Edge Lawn Car, Oct 15, 2007.

1. The Cutting Edge Lawn Car

The Cutting Edge Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Hey all, Im new to lawnsite. Im 19 years old and last fall bought a existing business including 36 accounts(which Ive kept all) 5 commercial......Everything has went very well this year..Although next year I need to get some more accounts, doesnt matter commercial or residential... When do most commercial accounts take bids? And what are some good strategies excluding door2door advertising to pick up some new accounts..Does the newspaper work? doorknob hangers, yard signs....

all feedback is appreciated..

thank you

2. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Congratulations on what sounds like a great start!

Yes, it's getting to be that time of year again. I have been fortunate enough to have all the business I can handle without hiring any help so far. It has been a slow, constant growth for me since I started. I'm ready for some bigger changes for next year. I will be trying several different things to see what will work to build more business faster. It would likely be different for each person and each area.

One thing for sure, any time is a good time to start making calls, going door to door, or what ever your choice is. As far as commercial properties are concerned; I have heard that they mostly take bids around August/ September. My experience with this was to be told to come back around January, etc., etc. It seems to be different for each company. Just make the calls or what ever. If your turned down at this time of year, ask when they do take bids. They will likely let you know when the best time to contact them is.