1yr old Troy Bilt 21" push ...Honda motor...starts then dies?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by akgarrett62, Jul 1, 2008.

1. akgarrett62

akgarrett62 LawnSite Member

last night it worked decently while i mowed the front yard, but starting losing power (like if you got into some really high grass and it was a little much for the mower). when i got to the back it just stopped. it would crank when i pulled the cord, but would then quit.

the other day i didn't realize it was out of gas, so i was trying to crank it for about 10 minutes before i figured it out. could that have clogged something up?...the Honda engine doesn't have a primer, u just open and close the fuel line.

fuel filter, maybe something else? by the way, any suggestions on where the fuel filter is on 21" Troy-Bilt push mowers in general?...something easy to access?

2. gear head

gear head LawnSite Member

check the float bowl for water?

3. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

some models of Honda engines have an 'oil alert' that will shut down the engine if lowon oil or on severe slope. check oil level

4. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

Your posting two different threads for the same mower?

Since you have the carburetor semi off the block, examine the auto check mechanism to make sure it moves freely. Carefully spray the area with carburetor cleaner so that it is not binding or being held by dirt. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP DIRT OUT OF THE INTAKE PORT AND CARBURETOR. By removing the gaskets, you are just possibly causing more problems, especially if you tear or misalign the old gaskets.

If your air filter is dirty, or the choke is partially engaged, then the unit will run sluggish and be difficult to restart.

The fuel filter is more than likely at the bottom of the fuel tank (mesh screen) exiting out.

Use fresh fuel (recent purchase) in a clean container You don't have to buy high octane fuel. 87 should be sufficient, unless it is extremely hot and you notice a pinging noise when cutting.

5. akgarrett62

what do you mean by the auto check mechanism?...

i am mechanically inclined and very capable, but just haven't had to do any work on these small engines before.

6. S DIAMOND

from South

Examine the throttle lever on the mower. Does it have a choke symbol built into the "starting position?" If you examine your picture of the carburetor, you will note that the choke is on the filter side, or the opening closest to you. Above the choke shutter, you can see the round spring loaded lever with a black rod sticking straight up. That is controlled by the choke mechanism. Make sure that the choke shutter moves freely by hand, and examine the device that controls the "rod" when its hooked up to the mower.

As a side note, have you checked the oil level and the condition of the air filter?

Post your engine number so I can see a break down of it.

EXAMPLE: (GXV190_A12 GJ03-1000000...)

7. akgarrett62

you are a great help man. i will get that when i get home...so may be tomorrow before i get engine #. but i will def post it. thanks.

8. akgarrett62

good news! went home and removed the carb, but didn't pull it apart. i removed the bowl on it, cleaned it out (was looking pretty nasty) and sprayed carb cleaner in there and in the carb opening. put it all back together (damn gaskets are a b*tch to get all back in there just right)...but finally successful in getting it back together. about 20-30 tries on the cord and getting the new fuel in throughout the system, and it starts...yeah! very strong sounding now!

9. S DIAMOND

from South

Good to hear.:)