2.00 stripe kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mac43rn, Nov 26, 2001.

1. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

I am interested in this $2.00 stipe kit. Before I go out to the shop, I have a few questions. The 1/2" rubber that is used, is it one solid piece or is it cut into little "fingers" that hang down. I hope this makes since. I did use the search and did not find my answer, but supprisingly I did not see any pic. Does anyone have any pics with using this kit?

thanks

2. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

On my Toro WB it's a solid piece that "wipes" across the grass, it's from Toro - about $50.00 I think. I made a home made striper for the JD out of chains fashioned after Eric's (pics on his website). I haven't tried that one - I hardly ever use the JD.

The one on the Toro made a little difference, but deck pitch and blade lift makes more. I saw more of a difference running doubles than when I went to the striping kit. ;)

3. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

alta lawncare

when you say wb, are you refering to a larger wb. I am going to do this on my 21". Also, how do you adjust the deck pitch on a 21" wb.

Thanks

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ah..
    Thats a whole 'nother story. The Toro is a 52". The flap would create drag on the 21, and lift the rear wheels (if self propelled). The chains might get under the deck! :eek:

My 21" Lawn Boy doesn't stripe at all.

I don't think you can change the pitch on the 21, maybe high lift blades would help.:confused:

Maybe someone with a 21 incher that stripes will chime in!

5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

To adjust the pitch of your 21, like most others, is very complex process. First extend your hand to the front of the mower. You can sit indian-style if ya like. Next, grip the mower height lever for one of the two front wheels. Descend the lever as to lower the mower about 1/4 in. Repeat for the otherside, or you can break before proceeding. When done your mower should be set for striping. Optimal tuning should be achieved through extensive field testing.
    If the above described method does not apply, please disregard. We are not responsible for personal injury that may result. Use at own risk.

:D

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

just put the front one notch lower than the back , Altalawn, i have a chain kit i made for my lb that has great results, i'll get a pic later.

7. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I have this mower that a customer gave me. It is actually a 22" mower. Its all push and its heavy. But man, it stripes brighter than most walk behinds. It is called a RALLY. 5HP. An older homeowner type mower. I only keep it because the cut is soooooo good. I think the striping is due to the fact that the back end of the deck is very low and it almost feels like it drags a bit. The deck is tall as well. about 6". Sorry, no pics.