2/3 rule. Why I need 30+ hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 1, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I know the 1/3 rule that you are not supposed to take over 1/3 off the height of grass but around here your more likely than not to be taking off much more than that. Hers's a 10 day account and it's only April and dry at that. May and June will be rough but the Scag is taking it in stride.

Pics 016.jpg

Pics 018.jpg

2. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Looks good, the poor exmark looks lonley on the trailer though

3. tacoma200

If I need a crisper cut on bad turf I use the Lazer.

Pics 002.jpg

4. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

interesting, i have hustlers and exmarks, seems like we use the exmarks more around here, just picked up my new lazer xs last week, starting to get some hours on it now.

5. tacoma200

I use one for the rough or thick lawns and the Lazer gets a work out where they are picky about the smooth cut or I need the extra lift. The Ultra Cut is a great deck but the first lawn would have probably made it clump. Just so much grass the Ultra Cut can move while the Scag leaves the larger clippings but never clumps.

6. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

HA!
    Nothing more than a mere SNACK for that Scag! :laugh:
    LOVE IT!
    If you choose to, you won't even lug the motor going full speed with high lifts on that grass.

Ya got the best of both worlds there Tacoma! :)

A

PS: Nice lines!

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would convert that 10 day account into a 5...or get rid of them IMO.

8. I'm with rodfather. I have one customer on a 7 day schedule. Everyone else is 5 or 4 day schedule. I decide the schedules.
    But I'm cutting bluegrass here. If it went 10 days there would be wads and wads of clippings left on top. Your pics look like the Scag is doing a great job.
    I did have one woman ask for a 10 day schedule. I told her she would NOT be happy with the results. But I would change her lawn to a 7 day schedule as soon as possible, probably July. She has 6 acres of lawn.