2,4,5 trichlorophenoxyacetic acid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArizPestWeed, Jan 1, 2006.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this stuff still available to use in all states or just some or non at all ?
    I can't seem to find a definitive answer via the net

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bong Water

2,4,5 trichlorophenoxyacetic acid was one of the Active Ingredients of agent Orange. It has been off the market in the United States for over 20 years. It is still used on rice fields in Asia. I suggest you get some and drink it.

3. ArizPestWeed

You try sooooo hard to be insulting , but , you come out being very funny .
    I knew it was part of the agent orange thing & was pretty sure it was banned but that was it .

Did you know agent orange got ti's name from the organge bands on the barrows , it's how they id'd 'em

Thanks Ric , I take back 1 thing I said about you , but not the rest , all that stays inforce .:waving:

4. GregoryR

GregoryR LawnSite Member

Its name came from the fact that it mixes fine with orange juice. Maybe that was what Ric meant to say.

5. I think your right. I seem to remember that after Veitnam, it was produced as a powder and marketed by the name "TANG".

http://kraft.com/archives/brands/brands_tang.html

6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

But Tang died out when they had to post the real ingredients on the label

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

As Ric stated, 2,4,5 T was used in AO. 2,4,5T is also loaded with dioxin, a known cancer causing agent, and has been banned from USE in the U.S. 2,4,5,T was commonly found in broadleaf weedkillers under the chemical name of Silvex. On a side note, I found some silvex at a garage sale a few years back. When I informed the homeowner what he had was illegal, he promptly removed it from his table. I don't know what he did with it after that.:nono:

8. ArizPestWeed

What every respectable home owner would do , put it back on the table after you leave OR poor it down the drain , which is where it belongs ,right ?

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not to get off the subject, here, but do they still even sell Tang?

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member